Hard Seltzer slow fermentation after 6 days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galette

Reaction score
I decided to jump on the bad wagon and make a hard seltzer...The OG was 1.040 and pitch champagne yeast. The airlock never seems to showing a lot of activities but when I look in the glass fermentor, I can see bubble and cloudiness from the yeast...I decided to take a gravity reading and it is only 1.030..my understanding the fermentation should be done after 5-7 days...Am I wrong ?

Hi, welcome to HBT.

Did you add any yeast nutrient? Yeast (and all living things) cannot grow without nitrogen and other micronutrients.

I decided to jump on the bad wagon and make a hard seltzer...The OG was 1.040 and pitch champagne yeast. The airlock never seems to showing a lot of activities but when I look in the glass fermentor, I can see bubble and cloudiness from the yeast...I decided to take a gravity reading and it is only 1.030..my understanding the fermentation should be done after 5-7 days...Am I wrong ?

Are you sure that Champagne yeast will ferment maltotriose and maltose? This is guessing that you used a malt based wort.

I've had the same issue. I've tried twice with 5 lbs. of table sugar dissolved in 5 gallons of water. I did add Yeast nutrient and calcium chloride. First time I tried using 34/70 lager yeast and the second time I used EC-1118. Both times it stalled at 1.030. I'm not sure why the yeast won't ferment sugar water? I'm interested to see if anybody else has a solution.

I added 1 tsp of yeast nutrient this morning to the fermentor ...wait and see

DAP i don't believe is going to be enough....You could boil some wheat germ, 8 oz's or so, in water and add it to get it to ferment....not sure how good a seltzer it would be. but i have drank it with coke before...

or possibly a few good multi-vitamins would work? you might try asking in the distilling forum. sugar washes are more common for distilling purposes.

I guess when I was looking for recipe I have seen some of them mentioning 2 weeks for fermentation...that where I am wondering I could wait until next week and take another gravity reading.

You're welcome to try to salvage it if you want.

Sugar and yeast are both very inexpensive so it wouldn't be any huge loss to just start over.

1D881A9C-209E-4526-94A6-D3C7D3CABB6A.jpeg
1D881A9C-209E-4526-94A6-D3C7D3CABB6A.jpeg
That was happening in the fermentor now...it is bubbling

Bubbling doesn't mean much at this point. Check s.g. to monitor fermentation progress.

Glucoamylase?

Btw, so cool I had been meaning to try a sugar wash. There is another hard seltzer thread with a few recipes you might like.

Ok I went to my local brew shop and I picked some yeast energizer and today it is very active ... I will check again on Tuesday or Wednesday and see If i reach a gravity close to 1.002
Thanks all for your suggestions

I took another gravity reading and it is now 1.012...better but definitively off.
3.68 % ABV

I've had the same issue. I've tried twice with 5 lbs. of table sugar dissolved in 5 gallons of water. I did add Yeast nutrient and calcium chloride. First time I tried using 34/70 lager yeast and the second time I used EC-1118. Both times it stalled at 1.030. I'm not sure why the yeast won't ferment sugar water? I'm interested to see if anybody else has a solution.
Just an update. I added a handful of Raisins and my gravity dropped to 1.005. I plan to flavor mine with Ginger and Cucumber at the wife's request.

I’m having the exact same issues as you all, going to try yeast energizers. I always ferment under pressure but from what I see others saying CO2 may be the issue?

Anyone else have any luck? I was able to get it down to about 1.016 but its stuck there now.... I am doing a blackberry version so I am hoping if I rack it on to those it may kick start again.

I’m having the exact same issues as you all, going to try yeast energizers.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, here's what needs to be done:
  1. Use a wine yeast.
  2. Use a TOSNA protocol (including proper rehydration).
  3. Degas multiple times daily for the first half of fermentation.
Obviously these techniques are new to beer brewers, but this is not beer.
Cheers

Last edited:
I do not recommend turbo/distilling yeast. Those yeast strains are selected for speed and not desirable flavor/mouthfeel profiles.

desirable flavor/mouthfeel profiles.

i have never heard that term used for a sugar wash....learn something new everyday....(honestly, they don't make good booze either;))

edit: but they will ferment a bucket of sugar water to 16% alcohol in 1 day though....lol, for emergencies...

3.0 % abv with raspberry. My wife is enjoying this one

Attachments

• BF01BDDE-813C-47B2-A606-D9A4ED8AF38E.jpeg
    BF01BDDE-813C-47B2-A606-D9A4ED8AF38E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 277
So I'm having similar problem as OP. I made some initial mistakes but attempted corrections haven't done much.

3Gal batch with 4lbs or corn sugar. OG was 1.056
I used Red Star Premier Blanc wine yeast (basically their Champaign yeast).
I did NOT add yeast nutrient - OOPS missed that part in my research.

Added yeast nutrient after about 3 days of no activity, well maybe a little bubbling but that was it.
No reaction. 2 more days and I pitched Red Star Premier Classique (hydrated) wine yeast and added yeast booster.
Also temp had dropped to low 60s so put carboy in warm water bath to get up to about 76.
No visible reaction. Took a gravity reading at 1 week and it is 1.03 - that must be the magic "stall" number.

So mixed up a pack of SO-4 (hydrated), yeast nutrient and some Amalyse Enzyme and pitched. That was last night. No visible changes this morning, but I realize it can take 24 hours for SO-4 to get moving.

Temp. is at low 60s again. Do you think another warm water bath would help? Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

So the warm water bath seemed to be a success. I got the temp. up to 77. I think the big key is to treat fermention like a yeast starter. For the next 3-4 days I removed air lock so seltzer would gas out, then I shook/swirled the carboy, finally replaced the air lock. I did this in the morning and evening.

I got final gravity to 1.002 so I feel that is a success. ABV ended up being 7.2% so its gonna be a potent hard seltzer. I added 1 oz of strawberry extract and 1/2 oz of red raspberry extract. It is now carbonating.

Latest posts

Back