Hard drive "half stack" speaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
Lol... took a spent hard drive and turned it into a "half stack": :lol: :lol: :lol: s***s ridiculous...

[youtube]M21kWLqH77w[/youtube]

techno doesnt sound all that bad actually from other video's I've seen. Playing guitar through it really sucks cause it sounds like piss to begin with, but then the strings make all these harmonics that make the hard drive go nuts. If you hit certain notes it goes all crazy and buzzes like its going to explode. After playing for like 10 minutes at pretty high volume I started smelling funny stuff like the coil was overheating. It was physically hot... I could definitely blow it out with my receiver.

I've done it too, you don't even need the platters. If you glue some sheets of paper to the heads it sounds awesome.

Find a way to cut the platter section of the aluminum off. Then try attaching paper to one of the heads.

I found the volume was much greater when the coil was sitting directly over one of the magnet poles. I had the platters completely off, but the hard drive had a little better sound with them installed. I think if you have the arm touching the platters it really takes away from the sound. It probably had more to do with more mass in the drive transferring sound into the desk.

Yeah, if the vibration has smething to resonate through, it makes it sound louder. I found that my HD was a little louder while sitting on my desk vs. me holding it.

BTW, I also got sound out the stepper motor that spins the platters. :D

I really don't mean to get into a "my vid's better than your's" thing, but a $50 hard drive ain't crap to a half million+ $ F1 car:
[youtube]8aArSn4IhHI[/youtube]

Back