Happy yeast (Fermentation Question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straykiller

Reaction score
Hey everyone just got done with my first brew last night(1:30am) it is a citra IPA. I wanted to ask some of the pros if it's normal to have this kind of action after 16hrs? I'm getting 2-3 burps per second maybe more in the blow off bucket. The yeast is wlp090 that I made a starter with the day prior. Boil gravity of the wort was 1.58-1.60. I am fermenting at 65 degrees in a chest freezer.

IMG_3138_zpsmunehhzh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks good. If you pitch enough yeast it's normal to reach high krausen pretty quick.

16 hours seems a little fast based on my experience with that yeast, but maybe you had a large pitch (which is OK!). That looks like normal, healthy - albeit aggressive - fermentation.

"Enjoy the miracle of creation!" - Flanders

I don't see a temperature probe attached to the carboy. The ambient in the fermentation chamber may be 65°, but what was the temperature of the beer during the initial active fermentation. Fermentation is exothermic so the temperature of the beer could have been quite a bit higher than the ambient.

I don't see a temperature probe attached to the carboy. The ambient in the fermentation chamber may be 65°, but what was the temperature of the beer during the initial active fermentation. Fermentation is exothermic so the temperature of the beer could have been quite a bit higher than the ambient.

Doh why didn't I realize that, just taped the probe to the carboy with alittle bubble wrap and it's reading 70 degrees. Hopefully it's not ruined.

Doh why didn't I realize that, just taped the probe to the carboy with alittle bubble wrap and it's reading 70 degrees. Hopefully it's not ruined.

You might get a beer that is a little more estery than you planned but there won't be anything "ruined." 70F-72F is not by any means a beer killer. Maybe not ideal but it's not like it's 83F in there either.

2° above the optimum range for the yeast. Doesn't mean the beer will be ruined or have off flavors. Maybe just a little more estery than if it was at 67°F, but even then this may not be noticeable.

Thanks for the replies, Ill check back on it when I get home from work to see how the temp is doing.

Back