Happy but not yet done buying...Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB

Reaction score
So, I received my 40qt "High Quality" (6mm sides, 12mm bottom) aluminum stock pot on Friday. Today I "seasoned" it and brewed my first batch in it and was VERY happy. My old pot was a very cheap aluminum that was not seasoned and incredibly hard to clean. It was only 7gallon so it made it tough to do full boils (I always ended up with 5 gal MAX into the primary). Now all I need to be happy (for now :) ) with my system is a burner that doesnt burn rich and leave black crap on my pots and a cooler for a HLT.

The cool thing is SWMBO is tired of cleaning the black residue off the counters\sink after I brew so she's all up for me getting a new burner. Possibly even a B-day present from her since it's coming up in a few weeks.

Any suggestions on burners?

:mug:

Bayou Classic SQ14. You can pick one up at most Home Depot stores. It's a very popular "stove" around here.

So, I received my 40qt "High Quality" (6mm sides, 12mm bottom) aluminum stock pot on Friday. Today I "seasoned" it and brewed my first batch in it and was VERY happy. My old pot was a very cheap aluminum that was not seasoned and incredibly hard to clean. It was only 7gallon so it made it tough to do full boils (I always ended up with 5 gal MAX into the primary). Now all I need to be happy (for now :) ) with my system is a burner that doesnt burn rich and leave black crap on my pots and a cooler for a HLT.

The cool thing is SWMBO is tired of cleaning the black residue off the counters\sink after I brew so she's all up for me getting a new burner. Possibly even a B-day present from her since it's coming up in a few weeks.

Any suggestions on burners?

:mug:
I have a brand new burner that is still in the box if you are interested, let me know.:mug:

You can pickup 55k btu burners for a decent price at most home improvement stores.

What burner do you have now? Is it not adjustable?

Not sure the brand. It was cheap. I bought it a few years ago when I started brewing. It came together with a 7gal pot (also ready cheap) and some other deep frying accessories. It does have an intake adjustment on it but it doesnt do much. I keep it full open and I still get an orange flame, especially at low output.

What is it and how much do you want for it?

It is the Bayou Classic Banjo Cooker, 17 inch frame, 10 inch cast burner, 30 psi regulator and hose assembly, supports pots up to 120 quarts, I dont have any idea how much shipping would be, I think I paid around 80 buckd for it a few months ago, check around for the prices for them and let me know the cheapest you found, if you like this one let me know, I will work with you, I have 3 cookers already, dont need another one.:mug:It is the KAB4 model.

It looks like it's gonna be about $20 for shipping from you to me. I can get one online shipped for under $80. So if you want to send and ship it to me for less than that I might think about it.

I'm thinking about getting the Bayou Classic SP10 or SQ14. Will those not leave black crap all over everything? My friend's burner turned his whole pot on the outside black (of course not as bad near the top, but still...).

So I am looking for a burner too and the Bayou Classic SQ14 looks like a good choice, but if I can get a 175,000 BTU jet burner for $20 and a reg hose for $45, is it worth the extra cost? I have a keggle if that helps.

I have an SQ-14, this year I searched for a second one locally with no luck. I ended up finding a great deal on a 2 burner camp chef. It only has 30K BTU on each burner, so not sure how it will work for boiling, but it did a decent job of heating 7 gallons of strike/sparge water. Not like I need the third burner for anything, but it's one of those dual purpose things that will be great for outdoor cooking too.

If you have a Sportsman's Warehouse nearby I think these are on sale nationwide.

One reason I ended up with the SQ-14 instead of a higher BTU burner like the SP10 or Banjo is the frame diameter. I can easily fit a 16" 60qt pot on the SQ14 no problem. It is the largest diameter burner I found.

And to me the 55k 10psi reg is of little significance. If you wanted better performance for another 22$ you can upgrade to a 20PSI reg.

$55 on Amazon with free shipping
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner Outdoor Patio Stove: Home & Garden
r=8-1

$22 Adjustable Regulator
Propane Regulators, PSI Adjustable Propane Regulator

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered the SP10. My pot is 14" and so is that, so I'll be fine.

One reason I ended up with the SQ-14 instead of a higher BTU burner like the SP10 or Banjo is the frame diameter. I can easily fit a 16" 60qt pot on the SQ14 no problem. It is the largest diameter burner I found.

And to me the 55k 10psi reg is of little significance. If you wanted better performance for another 22$ you can upgrade to a 20PSI reg.

$55 on Amazon with free shipping
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner Outdoor Patio Stove: Home & Garden
r=8-1

$22 Adjustable Regulator
Propane Regulators, PSI Adjustable Propane Regulator

Why wouldnt you just buy this Cajun Food: Bayou Classic KAB4 30psi Banjo Cooker which has a 30psi regulator, puts out 220k BTU and can be shipped for around $76?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does a keg fit on that stand and can the burner be taken off later? I want to eventually build a rig and won't need the stand.

They say it's good for a 17" diameter pot. The legs can be removed by cutting them or the welds holding them on, I would think.

There is a new KAB6 that's 22 inches across. Looks just like the KAB4 but longer supporting 'legs'. I just ordered one today. I'll let you know how the keg fits when it gets here in a few days. I have seen pics of extensions welded onto the kab4, but for the extra 20 bucks, that's a job I can avoid.

From what I had read the KAB4 would not fit a 16" kettle without modification - if you did not want the kettle overlapping the stand. I think the main reason anyone would buy an SQ14 instead of a banjo burner is the size of the stand. Obviously the price per BTU is better on the banjo. However, if I had known there was a KAB6 I might have looked into that.

Also, I am fine with the 55k BTU. I brew on a small apartment patio and I felt 220K BTU was dangerous. Even at 55k I have visions of burning the whole apartment building down. I had also heard it was kind of loud. To be honest I thought it would cause too much negative attention from my neighbors.

Latest posts

Back