Hanging Cables to Grow Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good to me. Unfortunately I dont have any trees to do the supporting task, but I think a couple of long heavy walled PVC pipes will be just fine. Guy them off and use a pulley to raise and lower the cross wire. attatch the down leads to the cross wire and use a cheap plastic reel like divers use and Voila' instant Hop yard on the cheap. You can then adjust the tension and height of the leaders to accomodate your growth and when it comes time to harvest you can lower them to the ground for a day or two of pre harvest drying and prep. I am essentially lazy and have to figure out ways to reach everything from a wheel chair so I tend to think outside the box as much as possible. How bout some pics of other folks growing rigs and hop yards.
Thanks!!!!

Bob

Hey Bob, that's a great idea using a pulley like the growers do. I haven't harvested yet to see how easy or hard mine will be. The lines slide pretty easily though, so I should be able to move them over to the tree where I'll have a ladder--at least that's the plan.

Are you using a plastic covered cable so the downlines can slide? I was thinking of using 1 inch binder rings to connect the down lines to the cross cable. Then a little loosening on the down line would allow repositioning if needed. I'm still waiting for my rhizomes so I can keep ruminating till they get here. Thanks.
Bob

Are you using a plastic covered cable so the downlines can slide? I was thinking of using 1 inch binder rings to connect the down lines to the cross cable. Then a little loosening on the down line would allow repositioning if needed. I'm still waiting for my rhizomes so I can keep ruminating till they get here. Thanks.
Bob
No, I think there is something that looks like a carabiner that comes in one of the packs and this is what is doing the sliding.

Here's a closeup so you see it a little better
HopLineCloseup.jpg

Back