Hallertau Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
just scored a couple lbs of whole cone Hallertau.

whos got a great recipe that uses these exclusively? i need to use them fast, i got them from a local brewery so i vaccumed the trash bag they were in, tied it off and put them in the freezer.

base malt on hand is -

amer 2 row

maris oter

pilzen

many steeping/flavoring malts on hand.

10 -15 different hops also, but looking for something that uses mostly Hallertau, and a lot of them

Slainte'

I think the Blue Moon clone uses this style of hops. I have made it a few times and it is dynamite!!

Can you lager?

I love Hallertau and just it and the 2row or pilsen with a good german lager yeast is amazing and will go fast. You can add some munich up to 50% to get some different styles too. With such a well balanced dual purpose hop you can make muich, mibock, helles, pils whatever you like!

what i was looking for is someones recipe that they are comfortable with sharing. im aware of what styles are available to this hop, but surely someone has a "house" brew that uses this hop solely.

...thanks for the blue moon idea, but i detest that beer.

60/30 2-row/Munich

60min Bitter hop(only) to 20-30IBU

Lager with Wl833

Mash low like 149-152 for 90min
Boil for 90

Perfect munich lager!

Maris Otter and Hallertau sMasH. Either as an IPA or APA would be damn tasty. My other recommendation would be to brew a kolsch using your pilsner and hallertau. Either of those would make for a damn tasty brew imo.

@kraphtbier
12 lb premium american 2 row and 3oz @ 60, 3 oz @ 30. 3 oz at flameout and will hit it with 8 oz dry hop.

should come out a stellar APA.

Back