Half normal AA% cause for concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do with them?

• Use them they are fine

• Get rid of them/try to get a refund

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

theheroguy

Reaction score
Just ordered some Azacca hops from morebeer and they are at 8.24% AA.
Usually they are around 15% AA. I've never seen them listed below 12 even morebeer list them from 14 to 16 AA. I don't think they're old (although maybe they are) I've always had great results buying hops from morebeer. I'm wondering if the low AA is indicative of poor growing conditions that otherwise impact their ability to flavor a beer. What do you all recommend? Use? Try to get a refund? other?

Let me clarify I would prefer to just use them because I don't need them to be high AA.

Yes, its likely due to growing conditions. I have some Saaz from last year that are only 2% AA :confused:

I would use them as is and supplement any changes in IBU with warrior/magnum in the boil

I voted other. AA% varies from crop to crop. The hops are fine but you will need to change the recipe to account for the difference. So it is not as simple as just "use them".
If you got just enough for your recipe at the higher AA%, you will need to get more hops.

I used them they seem fine. The flavor is mild but from what I read that is is expected of azacca.

Back