Half Bottle of Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricKCooper

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of pinot grigio (also my first wine) and there's a one bottle that was only half filled. I've been reading about oxidation. I've also seen that you should leave wine bottle 3 months before drinking it. Should I leave the half bottle three months or should we drink it early?

Think I would drink it early.

Have a beer bottle you could put it in? Even a plastic bottle with a screw on cap would be better than all that air in the bottle.

All the Best,
D. White

I agree with dwhite60. If you don't want to drink it right away I would look for a smaller bottle to store it in. It's going to be very "green" but the taste should give you a good idea about how good this wine is likely to be in another 3 , 6 or 12 months.

I always make sure to have some bottles with good caps of various sizes, from 6oz up to 3L for racking and bottling time. Those little plastic bottles that single serve wine comes in come very handy too, especially for once you open a bottle and know your not going to finish it within 3 days.

If you can’t find the right sized bottle, perhaps get a can of wine preservation gas to use, its handy to have around. Additionally, how long to age wine is relative. If you have already bulk aged before bottling there is no need.

Thanks for the replies. I only left it an extra week in the carboy so it's not aged a whole lot. I think maybe we'll drink it (if it's drinkable) and see how the first batch might be. :)

Well, we went ahead and opened it. I now understand what you mean by being green. I think it might have a good flavor in a few months. While it's far from undrinkable, I am using it for a white sangria. LOL!!!

I’m the only one drinking wine in my house, and it’s just a glass or so a night with dinner, so a bottle usually lasts me 5ish days

Back