Hair-like bacteria in my opened bottle of wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

KLAAYHAUS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2010
Messages
65
Reaction score
1
Location
Columbus, OH
We made a kit wine (Riesling Ice Wine) which turned out pretty decent for our first batch (a little too thick though). I do have a few questions concerning shelf life. We drank plenty from the carboy and bottled 12 bottles along with one that we didn't cork (on a Saturday). We took this bottle and placed a "refrigerator cork" in it and drank out of it on Sunday and Monday. By Tuesday my wife said that it looked like it had hairs in it and dumped it out rather than saving it for me to inspect. The remaining 12 bottles that are aging are clear and look absolutely perfect. I have seen this same hair-like bacteria in old bottles of kit wine (bottled in screw-type bottles) that we were given to us by friends. My questions are as follows:

What is this hair-like bacteria called?

Is it harmful?

What causes it?

How do I prevent it next time?

My assumptions are that it is a natural occurring bacteria that feeds off of oxygen. When we open a bottle of this wine, we have to drink it within two days. We prevent it next time by adding more metabisulphite than the kit provides.


Suggestions and comments are appreciated by the "NEWBIE"
 
OP
OP
KLAAYHAUS

KLAAYHAUS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2010
Messages
65
Reaction score
1
Location
Columbus, OH
I did sanitize the bottles and the corks along with everything that came in contact with the wine. I would have taken a picture, but my wife dumped it out before I got home.
 

Emerald

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
237
Reaction score
6
Location
Michigan
I can't help with a name of said fungus but have had it contaminate some of my Crock Pickles or lacto-bac. fermented style pickles-- I didn't eat them but the chickens didn't give a phooey and ate them all after I dumped them in the compost. If you search on a fermenting foods site it might come up better idea on what it might be. And once I got it in a pickle bucket, I could not pickle in that bucket any longer- as it would infect the next batch, no matter how much I bleached-(plastic food grade buckets)- it does not stick to glass tho so your bottles should be ok if bleached/sanitized well.
 
Top