Hackepeter (raw groud pork)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Here is another popular dish from Germany:

2249-Hackepeter.jpg

The literal translation of Hackepeter would be ground Peter, but I doubt that this is how it got its name. This is raw ground pork, mixed with a raw eg (or just the yolk). It is usually eaten on a roll topped with salt pepper and onions. My wife says that that's the reason why Europeans can't donate blood in America.

I had this on my trip back to Germany with a bottle of Rauchbier. There the Butcher has to assume that one buys raw ground pork that they will be eating it raw and as a result of that they will only sell you fresh stuff. I'm not sure about this here in America and that's why I never dared making this here. It tastes pretty good once it is eaten with salt, pepper and onions.

Kai

Where I lived in Germany, it was called Mett and we ate it on fresh Brotchen for breakfest with onions.

mett.jpg

I was grossed out at first, but then I became to love it for breakfast. Hmm good!

Ryanh1801 said:
wow braver man than I to eat raw pork.
I'm with you, I wouldn't eat it either. However, today's pork is actually one of the cleanest meat products around. Hogs are now essentially "factory raised," fed scientifically developed feed and given good medical care. (For the same reasons, it's a lot leaner now, and frankly a lot less tasty!) Trichinosis from commercially raised pork simply doesn't exist any more, the idea of it is a holdover from the days when hogs were fed garbage. It's very rare now, and almost always contracted from eating wild game or home raised pork.

Still, decades of habit are hard to break, and I hesitate to eat pork cooked to medium. I guess I'm a hypocrite, as I eat lots of raw fish and have enjoyed plenty of carpaccio and steak tartare in both the U.S. and Europe.

I certainly wouldn't eat ANY raw meat that is purchased pre-ground. I won't even eat a rare hamburger unless I ground the meat myself.

Mett at German butcher shops is only available in the morning and is as fresh as fresh gets as just ground.

No problems eating it, and once you get past the trichinosis phobias, it's very tasty. Then again, I've never had it here in the states, but I would not hesitate to stop at a butcher shop in the morning and have some on a hard roll for breakfast again.

Here in the Milwaukee area eating raw hamburger is really popular. Normally ground round is used. Around holiday times butchers at the stores here grind it several times a day so that it is fresh. I have never had a problem from eating it.

Raw pork? Now that's a different story. Even though I know that pork is now supposedly safe, I have been conditioned all my life that pork should be cooked-- in fact really cooked, before it can be eaten. Even the though of a slightly pink pork chop is too much for me.

I love medium rare beef steak or prime rib. I will even eat sushi sometimes. But some of the other stuff folks are eating rare nowadays-- tuna, duck breast, salmon, to name a few-- is enough to make me nauseated just thinking about it.

I'd be hesitant...only because my Mom drilled it into my head from birth that you must cook pork well done.

Now, when I was a child, we had scrambled eggs and pork brains.

And when I was in the Philippines, I tried to eat balut, it is a incubated 18 day old duck egg hard boiled. My wife wouldn't let me have any beer, because I had a cold and she believes you shouldn't consume any cold drinks. I chickened out. But, back here in Port St. Lucie, we went to a filipino market and they had them. I bought 2, brought them home, had 2 beers while boiling them, 2 beers while eating them, and 2 more when I finished. It's actually pretty good. Kinda bit like hard boiled egg and poultry together. I think I was the only one buying them, cause the market doesn't carry them anymore.

Allan

I an not to interested in raw pork. You can tell me that tricanisis is uncompn now, but I am not buying it! Japanese never cease to amaze me. Today my friends and I went to a tepenyaki resturant. On the menu the had 山羊さしみ (goat sashimi)! They will eat anything raw hear. I actually just had some thin-sliced raw pork for lunch on Friday and it tasted like my dogs pig ears smell.

the_bird said:
The rest of the meal.... not so much ;)

Do you want me to whip up a batch when I host anouter brew-out :mug:.

The egg doesn't have to be. Some add it and others skip it. I like it either way and actually only added it to up the grossness factor for my wife. I just love to tease her with these things as she wouldn't even touch dark chicken meat.

Kai

Tony Bourdain, I ain't!

I'm sure 99.9% of this is all related to the quality and the freshness of the basic ingredient, which I wouldn't trust around here.

But hell, isn't rauchbier supposed to be served with BARBEQUED meat? ;)

When I work at a German restaurant in Chicago we had Hackepeter on the menu. But it was beef. We ground USDA Commercial knuckles (from the round) with salt white pepper, and mustard powder. We mostly served it as a sandwich with fine diced onions. It was quite tasty. We would also mix an egg yolk in with it or make it as Steak Tartare. with onions capers and anchovies. I would never eat it at work because then I would want a beer with it. :cross:

Back