Gushers/bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrain1983

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a batch that started to look like it had a bit of pellicle on the surface. I bottled it and most were fine but I had a couple of gushers. I put that down to the pellicle. I scrapped those bottles but opened all of them to check and 95% were fine. I immediately recapped to limit how much carbonation I lost but know that I will still lose some. Just to check, the ones I have opened and were fine, I assume they will now stay fine and there is no risk of turning into a gusher/bottle bomb?

Thanks!

How long have they been in the bottle before you opened them?

There have been cases where certain strains just keep consuming and after months cause issue... But I'd be more worried about oxidation than bottle bombs I guess...

How quickly will you consume them?

I reckon 3-4 weeks roughly by now in the bottle and I reckon consumed in the next week, so I'm hoping all should be good? (I'm giving them to some friends which is the worry)

If they're consumed within a week it'll probably be OK. But given that you are giving them away... How familiar is the recipient familiar with homebrewing? Could be potential danger if the person "forgets" about it for months in their pantry and kablam!

The chances are still very very slim but since you're giving them away you have to inform your friend about it.

It would worry me - they could continue to slowly carbonate. I wouldn't give any away and would take precautions with them in storage, handling, and opening. Sorry to be negative, but that's my opinion.

Back