Relocating fermenter for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevermore67

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Brewing noob and first time contributor here.

I am due to bottle a brew of hazy IPA this evening. My fermenter is currently sat in my garage high enough that I could bottle out there, but it isn’t the best place in the house for making sure everything stays clean.

I wondered if I should relocate my fermenter inside to the kitchen and risk stirring up the hops/yeast sediment in the process? And if I do move it, how likely is it that agitating the liquid will affect the beer? I’ll be using a filter / hop sock when the time comes so I’m less worried about transfer and more worried about oxidising the beer.

Thanks.

As long as you keep the lid on, and carry the fermenter gently, the chance of introducing a bunch of oxygen into your beer is quite small.
You'll probably stir up a little bit of sediment, no matter how gently you move it, but that shouldn't harm anything. You can leave it sit in the new spot in your kitchen for an hour or two to settle back down. Be sure you note the temperate of your garage, and use that in a priming calculator (like Beer Priming Sugar Calculator | Brewer's Friend)

I carry my fermenter through the house and set it on a countertop. No extra precautions, other than trying to be gentle while carrying it. No waiting for anything to settle. Never really had a problem. Yeast that gets stirred up will settle out in the bottle. I would definitely want a clean work area. Good luck, and welcome to HBT.

If you have a dishwasher, opening the door and putting your empty bottles on it makes a great bottling location. Any spills go in the dishwasher when you close the door.

I find the easyest way is just to transfer the beer to a bottle bucket, and then move the bucket to the best spot to fill the bottels, then you can also just add the bottlesugar and bottleyeast to the bucket instead of having to put it in each bottle individualy.

If you have a big glass carboy that is awkward to carry, then be careful. Don't try to save it if you feel like it's about to go in a direction you don't want.

Trying to save glass bottles, jugs, carboys or even falling drinking glasses has led to severe cuts and many stitches. Thankfully I was on the spectator side of those things at a very early age. If anything glass is in the process of going where I don't want it to, I just take my hands away and let it happen.

So far no cuts requiring a trip for stitches. Just small cuts while trying to clean up the mess. Which at least wasn't a bloody mess.

Back