Guinness Clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhall23

Reaction score
Does anyone have a step-by-step Guinness close recipe they could share?

I found one on line, but it only lists the ingredients.
I am still fairly new to home-brewing, so I am very dependent on step-by-step instructions...Like, the amount of water to boil, how long to boil and at what time to add what ingredients, how long to keep in the primary and secondary, what the specific gravities should be, etc, etc.

I tend to be a perfectionist, so I am a little timid to step out of the box quit yet with home-brewing off the cuff, therefore I rely on the step-by-step instructions.

Currently, I have 24oz of Guinness souring in a bowl...(just started that today).
:mug:

Brewing software is your friend. You plug in the number (the ingredients, the gravity you want, the IBUs, etc.) and it will have all the info ready for brewday.

Quite frankly, it isn't rocket science, especially if you are brewing with extract and break down everything to its core components. People tend to overcomplicate things: you steep your speciality grains in a few quarts of water @ 170F, you boil your extract accounting for final volume and hoppyness and you then chill the beer and pitch. Go to any reputable kit supplier website and the instructions are all pretty much the same regardless of style.

The only problem I might foresse is that Guinness gets a lot of its character from:
a) Unmalted flaked barley
b) Nitro taps

A) needs for you to do a mini or full mash (wich is, imho, easier than working with extract) and B) needs a specific piece of equipment, wich you might not have. I have bottled dry stouts before with good results though. You just carb them less.

Back