Guess on Picobrew's Kickstarter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew-in

Reaction score
Good Morning Team,

As you all probably know PicoBrew is launching a new Kickstarter on April 3rd. They call it their "Best Campaign Ever". I thought it might be interesting to have a thread with thoughts on what it will be?

I will start. I think it will be a beer machine along the lines of the Igulu or the MiniBrew. Sorta like adding fermentation and ferm temp control to the Pico Brew.

Your thoughts?

I think it will be a more budget brewer like the pico but one that you can refill the pico packs and design your own beer without having to buy the ungodly expensive zymatic.

I'm betting along the lines of:
  • integrated post-boil chiller
  • fermentation temperature control
  • full 5 gallon batch size?
  • less likely - automated water measurement

Meanwhile, all I really want is:
  • a better recipe editor
  • better batch notes (with FG, fermentation schedule, etc)
  • the ability to specify a bigger batch size than 5 gallons of preboil water

It'll be a full on appliance. Size of a dishwasher. Full 5 gallon capacity and built in fermentation cooling.

I think this is a distinct possibility...If it is this, what do you figure it would go for? $3995 is my guess

It'll probably be something along the lines of what other people posted. But I want something more like the Brewie, where it does everything and you flush it to an external fermenter. I just want an automated wort maker, I don't need that fermentation control stuff. I'd like to be able to brew multiple batches per week and use my own fermenters.

I was really looking forward to the Brewie, but I'm now skeptical about it. Maybe Pico will now try to push Brewie out of the market.

Would be neat if it were an brewie competitor... Given thier experiencece and track record, I think backing, at a low introductory price, is relatively low risk.

Looks like at least one of them is going to be something called "Brew pulse". Looks to be similar to the Tilt, measures temp/gravity and reports it to an app or website.

Well it says something for everybody so I will assume I will be evolutionary and not revolutionary and it has to do with the fermentation vessel / keg and the interface. Jibes a bit with he cryptic photo showing a smartphone and a new keg contraption.

Possibly a PICO subscription service in the mix as well.

"Let's just say, we wouldn't go smaller". - Annie, PB's head brewer.

My money's on a 5g batch size PB and a modified 1/4 barrel (7gal) Sanke keg fermenter.

I got an email from them that says:

"More Affordable. Even Simpler.

At PicoBrew, we never stop innovating and we take your feedback seriously. That’s why we’re looking forward to introducing you to our latest brewing products, designed with your feedback in mind. Our newest family of products are less than 1 week from launch, and we’re taking brewing to a whole new level. Fresh craft beer, in the comfort of your home. If you’ve been waiting for a value-priced Pico, we’ve got your number. Let’s get brewing! "
With that in mind, I'm guessing a Pico made entirely from plastic, no SS. Maybe some kind of subscription deal where you pay them a monthly fee, and you get the Pico for (nearly) free and then a set number of pico packs per month. This way they can get you locked in and you never really own anything ;)

That would be such a big disappointment, especially after all of the hints they've dropped about possibly having a 5gal version in the future.

X2

especially given the problems with Brewie....I really would like an alternative.

X2

especially given the problems with Brewie....I really would like an alternative.

It's a difficult thing. I'd imagine there's actually more money in the Pico than the Zymatic since the pico-packs are pretty high margin. Think of razors and blades.

Thus from a business perspective, it's more worthwhile to improve the affordability of the Pico, and/or make the brewing process easier in general.

This is unfortunate for us, since it means that any incremental improvements to the Zymatic or a 5 gallon version are unlikely. Especially since we know that PB's working on craft beer bar sized equipment now.

quote from this evening's email from Pico

" new, more affordable Pico model, simpler to use keg, endless beer supply or an interactive brewing experience, we’ve got something for all you craft beer lovers out there."

the one that strikes me as interesting is what is meant by "interactive brewing experience"

So their best Kickstarter campaign is the same product as the last but plastic? I'm underwhelmed. Was ready to buy the 5 gallon version in my head!

7 minutes in, and they're over $20,000 funded, and growing quickly. While I think it's quite lame, and not for me (same as my thoughts o in Keurig) they obviously found a strong market of people who want to think they're brewers. Good on them, wish them the best.

So their best Kickstarter campaign is the same product as the last but plastic? I'm underwhelmed. Was ready to buy the 5 gallon version in my head!

Based on their previous kickstarter products, the way I've read this is: there's more profit to be made from a yuppie hipster appliance than there is to be made from hobbyists.

Dang. I was hoping for a full-size all-in-one as well.

Trying to figure, is the Unlimited Beer Kits really unlimited?

It says order two, use then then order two more. I wonder if there is a minimum time between orders...Like can only order two every two weeks.

at least there is very little risk of not getting the item in the campaign...

Anybody seeing info about the BrewPulse app? I'm unclear if this is something that requires one of the new Pico C/kegs or if it works with the original Pico. No mention of platform or availability either.

*edit*
Disregard the above, found answers to all my questions.

Trying to figure, is the Unlimited Beer Kits really unlimited?

It says order two, use then then order two more. I wonder if there is a minimum time between orders...Like can only order two every two weeks.

They say unlimited, but the limit is 2 at a time, and only when you brewed them will you be able to order two more.

What I suspect though, is the shipping of the most expensive and popular pack will be artificially delayed to keep profits high enough.

I somehow suspect that the average anyone would be able to get would be 4 a month. Time will tell.

Personally, if I was able to brew 6 a month I would be happy as it's pretty my consumption limit.

If only they could ditch darn UPS.

Anybody seeing info about the BrewPulse app? I'm unclear if this is something that requires one of the new Pico C/kegs or if it works with the original Pico. No mention of platform or availability either.

*edit*
Disregard the above, found answers to all my questions.

I had my hopes up on a built-in tilt in the kegs. Nope, it's only an app that pulls the info from the site. It's nice, but still find the tilt to be more of a necessity. Hopefully it will integrate with the tilt.

Is it just me or the campaign falls short a bit? Price is attractive, but what other short falls are there?

DOnt think we need to look for negatives. They have a new PICO at an awesome price point. Add to that a dishwasher compatible keg. That's awesome for those who aren't current brew hounds and PBW cleanup artists. It is a much better niche fit than the previous. Is it for me? no not this time. Well done.

DOnt think we need to look for negatives. They have a new PICO at an awesome price point. Add to that a dishwasher compatible keg. That's awesome for those who aren't current brew hounds and PBW cleanup artists. It is a much better niche fit than the previous. Is it for me? no not this time. Well done.

It's an awesome price point if you buy it at the kickstarter price. It's still going to be a $550 machine and $550 for a machine that requires you to buy rfid packs to use is still way too expensive.

It's an awesome price point if you buy it at the kickstarter price. It's still going to be a $550 machine and $550 for a machine that requires you to buy rfid packs to use is still way too expensive.

There is a difference between being expensive and being more than you want to spend.

I think is a neat product. I was looking for a way to brew beer in my RV while away for months at a time. We tend to go to very rural places and it can be tuff to find good beer. When I do find something reasonable, often it has usually been sitting on the shelf for well over 6 months. This and the igulu were on the short list.

I got in on the Super early bird...

Still not sure how much I'm going to like it. Twenty to thirty bucks to make 10-12 beers... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this.. plus I'm a big recipe tweaker.

I wish this would have been for a new and improved Zymatic.

I got in on the Super early bird...

Still not sure how much I'm going to like it. Twenty to thirty bucks to make 10-12 beers... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this.. plus I'm a big recipe tweaker.

I wish this would have been for a new and improved Zymatic.

An improvement to the Z would be them doing a real software/front end update... No $$ in that, though.

Picobrew just announced they will be shipping a Pico Pack with the kickstarter Pico C. They say to stand by for which Pico Pack it will be...implied it may be a new one...also watch the Kickstarter page for a special announcement on National Beer Day April 7th.

The Picopack with order is a stretch goal ($1,000,000) that they seem very confident of reaching. The Pak will be Habitus IPA.

Yeah I think they are very confident. During the live webcast last night, they said everyone will get a pico pack with the Pico C purchase.

Back