Guess I wont be Brewing anything soon...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mliptack

Reaction score
Loooong day at work...

Get home to find this about 30' away from my front door.

Water out of the faucet is a nice cloudy brown even after being through (and now probably clogging) my whole house filter...

School bus is perfect for a size comparison.

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

Oh man that sucks. These are the reasons I moved out of the city to the burbs, not that that couldnt happen here in brookfield, but that in milwaukee thats going to take a while to be fixed. Good luck to you though, hopefully no or not much property damage for you.

Oh man that sucks. These are the reasons I moved out of the city to the burbs, not that that couldnt happen here in brookfield, but that in milwaukee thats going to take a while to be fixed. Good luck to you though, hopefully no or not much property damage for you.
Yeah I have a feeling its going to be a while. Only vehicle on the scene is a police cruiser (2hrs+). Brookfield is nice, but I work in the Oak Creek/SMil area, avoiding that commute (everyday) outweighs being without water for a day or two - but not by much. The saving grace - is that I have beer on tap. :ban:

Okay so that only applies for me, my wife and kids are less thrilled.

Consider your mineral additions handled.
Ha - do you think BeerSmith can handle the SRM value of my drinking water?

Ouch, that is rough. Hopefully the tap water is all you have to worry about!

I guess if you really wanted to, you could pick up a few gallons of bottled water. Start brewing a medieval style "Are you crazy, that water's too filthy to drink! Have a beer instead" beer :D

fill HLT, boil, let settle. taa-dah drinking water. put in your bottling bucket for dispensing. will probably waant to do that anyway for a while. All kinds of nasties get stirred up with broken mains.

Heads up as well for the days after they get it fixed! I know around here when a main breaks they over chlorinate the water for a few days afterwards. Really stinks up bathroom when you take a shower :/

i'm on a well up here in thiensville so i use bottled water anyway. I can get 10 gallons for like $5 at the pig. RO.

where is that?

Central Kentucky. It may not be the practice everywhere but it makes more some awful tasting water here. They put in extra chlorine anytime we have a main break, high water issues at the river, or if they flush the city fire hydrants. It's a real PITA!

on the plus side, chlorine can be extracted from the water by just letting it sit overnight. Chloramines are more of a PITA. They shock my water every spring into summer with chlorine to suppliment the chloramines they use the rest of the year. Campden for the mines, overnight stand or a boil first for the chlorine (for brewing water).

Have lived on a well, I still find myself filling a bottling bucket before big storms. and a bath tub for flushing toilets.

It wasn't until about 10pm that I could feel the ground shaking from the equipment they had out there... but get this. I left for work at about 6am - they were done (temporary asphalt in place) but all the equipment, barricades, everything- gone.

Called the water works last night, they said to run the laundry tub's cold water until the water cleared up, and all would be fine. Ran maybe 10-15 gallons at most, and it was crystal clear. Tastes fine too (I live on the edge).

I guess I was really expecting the worst case here, and for once in my life, received as close to the best case as I could get.

Also on a positive note, I didn't have any water seeping into the basement as a result of this, I am slightly uphill, so there were a few other basements to fill before it would reach mine :D

Ouch, that is rough. Hopefully the tap water is all you have to worry about!

I guess if you really wanted to, you could pick up a few gallons of bottled water. Start brewing a medieval style "Are you crazy, that water's too filthy to drink! Have a beer instead" beer :D
The brown will settle out. Go for it!
A Simpsons quote comes to mind "if its brown drink it down, if its black, send it back"

where is that?
South side of Milwaukee - right on Oklahoma ave.

To get started - you can get a simple brewing kit and follow the basic instructions.

What you should do before you even begin the brewing process is to make sure that you have enough bottles for holding the finished product. My friend normally uses old water bottles (Evian type of bottle) as it seals very well and makes the whole process simpler.

He has tried using glass bottles but found that after a couple of refills that the tops of the bottles begin to chip away.

Sounds like you have had a excess of luck. Lottery?

It wasn't until about 10pm that I could feel the ground shaking from the equipment they had out there... but get this. I left for work at about 6am - they were done (temporary asphalt in place) but all the equipment, barricades, everything- gone.

Called the water works last night, they said to run the laundry tub's cold water until the water cleared up, and all would be fine. Ran maybe 10-15 gallons at most, and it was crystal clear. Tastes fine too (I live on the edge).

I guess I was really expecting the worst case here, and for once in my life, received as close to the best case as I could get.

Also on a positive note, I didn't have any water seeping into the basement as a result of this, I am slightly uphill, so there were a few other basements to fill before it would reach mine :D

Interesting... when this kind of thing would happen in KC (which was like 3 a week during the winter), they would ask those areas affected to boil their water for 5-10 min for a few days before using just in case something got into the system.

Sounds like you have had a excess of luck. Lottery?
Very unlike me... usually it would be the opposite. I'm surprised they didn't have to shut off my power and gas for the week to fix it.

Sounds like it's time to brew a brown porter to commemorate the occasion! :D
Might be brewing a RyePA today - if I have the hops I need (or have enough to substitute).

Interesting... when this kind of thing would happen in KC (which was like 3 a week during the winter), they would ask those areas affected to boil their water for 5-10 min for a few days before using just in case something got into the system.
Years ago, we had a Cryptosporidium outbreak. Now with the chlorine and chloramine that is added I don't think it is as much of a problem. But then again the guy I was talking to, was a bit of a prick, it seemed like he was just saying whatever he could to stop talking to me (I was probably the 200th person to call about it that night).

Cheers!

Of all the possibilities in this situation, laundry water is probably one of the better options available. Maybe the detergent will break down and provide some IBUs. :p

Well, at least it's unseasonably warm around here and you don't have the Oklahoma Ave. Ice Rink.

Years ago, we had a Cryptosporidium outbreak. Now with the chlorine and chloramine that is added I don't think it is as much of a problem. But then again the guy I was talking to, was a bit of a prick, it seemed like he was just saying whatever he could to stop talking to me (I was probably the 200th person to call about it that night).
I grew up in Waukesha and remember the Crypto outbreak (so does SWMBO as it hit her for a week and a half). That wasn't cool.

I grew up in Waukesha and remember the Crypto outbreak (so does SWMBO as it hit her for a week and a half). That wasn't cool.

We lucked out. I remember it not being fun, I cant imagine, what you and your SO remember - or maybe I don't want to know.

Fill up some 5 gals at the Glacier machine. That's what I do every time.

I remember the bottled water and toilet paper aisles being totally cleared out as far south as Racine.

Should that ever happen again, we're all pretty well equipped to boil water, what with the big brew pots and propane burners.

Fill up some 5 gals at the Glacier machine. That's what I do every time.

Every time you are infected with Crypto? While I am sure that is possible, I would probably at least try to make it to the bathroom. JK - everything is good, I removed my filters and ran the furthest bathtub for about 30min. I still need to replace the filters.

I remember the bottled water and toilet paper aisles being totally cleared out as far south as Racine.

Should that ever happen again, we're all pretty well equipped to boil water, what with the big brew pots and propane burners.

One of the many perks of brewing! I was thinking about doing the same thing... you know, once the kegs kicked.

Latest posts

Back