Growing yeast harvested from fellow homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a bottle of a homebrewed beer that was brewed using yeast harvested from a bottle of Brouwerij 3 Finteinen Oude Gueze Vintage 1997. The beer was brewed in 2016 and I finally opened it to celebrate the birth of my son!

I'm trying to grow up the dregs from this bottle for a future brew. After storing upright for months, I poured out the beer and left a small amount of in the bottle. I then filled the bottle about half way with 1.020 starter wort. That was about 3 days ago, and I don't see any visible activity in the bottle.

My plan was to next step up to a 1.040 starter, but I'm not sure that there's any life in the first step. I would think that after 2 years, the yeast would be pretty dormant and need some coaxing to bring back to life, but I'm not exactly sure how to do so.

Should I keep working on this? Any advise on how to step this up to a usable cell count?

Thanks,
John

Back