Growing Hops in Northeast Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlinc

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and I like DIY projects. I also have been doing an veggie garden for years so I have decent knowledge of gardening. Can someone point me to resource that I can use to get started? Also any have an opinion of what hops will do well in my region (Cleveland/Akron)?

Thanks

I'm down in Cincinnati an had success with centennial and cascade. But I think if you provide the correct environment, any hop would grow

Yep, I'm in Cincinnati as well... last year I grew Centennial, Cascade, Columbus, EKG, Fuggle, Tettnanger, Chinook, & Cluster. All with success from greatlakehops. I'm sure if you have a nice south facing side and baby them the 1st year they will grow with no problem.

If you've got heavy clay below a decent layer of soil, most of the desirable aroma varieties seem to perform poorly. I've been playing with hops just down the road from you over near Youngstown for many years and have narrowed it down to a few varieties that do well. Cascade can produce up to two pounds in good year, Chinook just about the same and Bullion isn't far behind. Fuggle, Mt. Hood, Centennial may give you up to 8 ounces in a very good year. Again, try to amend your soil with organic matter as much as possible and pray we don't have many spells of heavy rains. The roots don't like to be waterlogged and the plants suffer during those years. Try a bunch of different varieties and give the poor performers at least 3-4 years before you decide to get rid of them. Grow On!

I agree, I dug about about a 3' deep trench and planted all my hops in a bed of "super soil" from the local plant shop.

Hi, I live on the west side of Cleveland and I want to put in a single plant.

Any updated thoughts on which varieties would grow best here?

Down here in Columbus I've had great success with (ironically) Columbus ... Centennial and Chinook have done ok ... And a fifth year willamette on the south side of the house has been producing almost nothing recently, going to pull it out this year and replace with a Zeus I think.

I'm debating between cascade and crystal. It sounds like cascade grows well pretty much everywhere.
Anyone have experience with crystal?

Back