Ground Up Brew Room Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a lot of progress this weekend, and I think i'm ready to brew!

I got the drawer for the cabinet made and installed, and got the second door figured out with the magnetic mounts so I can just pull it off and set it out of the way when i'm brewing. Those little wood magnet mounts were a pain to make but it's nice to have done the way I want.

IMG_6402.jpg

Here is how the cabinet will look when I'm brewing
IMG_6403.jpg

here is a pic of the magnet mounts I made. I epoxied the magnets into these and the back of the door.
IMG_6392.jpg

I also spent a while getting the wok burners to burn clean, I had to plug up some of the holes so I had the right mix of fuel to air over a good range of flow. I do alot of decoction mashing so I wanted to be sure I can turn the burners down quite a bit so I dont get any scorching when I do that.

IMG_6385.jpg

So this week I got in an order from Brewhardware so I can get my keggle for my HLT and for my large batches finished up. I was testing out the water flow into the HLT last night and things are working great. I think I'm ready for that first batch! Trouble is my wife is gone from today through Sunday night to visit her brother and there new baby, so i'm home alone with my kids (7 and 4). I think I can get in a brew Saturday night after I get them to bed, but we'll see. I'll certainly post some pics if I get that first batch in! I've also still got some small details to finish up and once it's all done i'll take some really nice photos of the finished product and share.

FEE86559-F7F0-4413-87F7-B7423E627FE3.jpeg
Still a lot of finishing touches to do, and I need to figure out exactly what equipment will live in this room and what in my workshop in the back where my fermentation and serving keezer is, but first brew is happening today, a big day! Almost done with the boil and things went well so far. I’m doing a Belgian blonde inspired by some triple caramalite recipes I’ve seen.

I’ve also got to do something to bling up my mash tun!

View attachment 668616 Still a lot of finishing touches to do, and I need to figure out exactly what equipment will live in this room and what in my workshop in the back where my fermentation and serving keezer is, but first brew is happening today, a big day! Almost done with the boil and things went well so far. I’m doing a Belgian blonde inspired by some triple caramalite recipes I’ve seen.

I’ve also got to do something to bling up my mash tun!
Congratulations! Lot-o-work coming to fruition.

So I've gotten a few brews in this room now and it's awesome. Still some tweaking to do here and there but overall it's working awesome.

A few photos to update. This summer my dad gave me this cool antique trolley seat he bought many years ago but he never put up in their new house when they moved 15 years ago. He said when he bought it the antique dealer said it came from a streetcar in buffalo, I guess the driver would stand up to take tickets, then pull the seat up to lock the sitting position for driving. It says "patented 1898" on the metal mold.

IMG_6490.jpg

here it is folded down
IMG_6489.jpg

Also I was really belaboring what to do about lighting. I decided a cheap and potentially cool option i'd try is LED edison bulbs in the simple ceramic fixtures I had already. I got 4 100W equivalent LED bulbs online for home depot for $25. They are super bright and I think look cool.
here they are off
IMG_6492.jpg

and on, they throw a cool shadow
IMG_6491.jpg

Also we've been "self isolating" ourselves this week as the kids schools are shut down. I've been using this room as my home office and it's awesome for that purpose. Now all I have left is to get up the decorative glassware shelf!

IMG_6485.jpg

So I've done a bit more detail work this past week. I made a nice stool for standing on when I mash in, which fits in the cabinet perfectly and has a bit of storage as well.
IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

IMG_6556.jpg

I also got my glassware shelves up and will soon be putting up my glassware at which point i'll be taking some 'project finished' photos. I spent a few hours last night permanently mounting my speakers and speaker wire. Most of the time I was cleanly routing the speaker wire for my speaker switch, I have a switch so I can turn on the speakers on my deck outside my room and now I wont have to get ontop of a stool to reach the switch. I was able to hide most of that behind the mounting wood I made for the stereo shelf. Also the switch itself will be able to hide behind a krug on the shelf.
IMG_6559.jpg

I'm so excited to be close to truly 100% finished with this project. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

So I've got my finished photos done. I've been using this space as a home office the last month, as well as brewing quite a bit. It's working great for both purposes! Cheers everyone, stay healthy!

Large panorama of the finished room:
20200401-IMG_6586.jpg

Below is my home-office setup (with a great view), I use a bistro table and a custom monitor stand I made for a sit/stand desk setup.
20200401-IMG_6575.jpg

View of water treatment shelf and wood wall:
20200402-IMG_1392.jpg

the lowest shelf with the ceramic and metal tins has all my water treatment salts and acid, as well as a small scale in the tins.
20200402-IMG_1397.jpg

two detail shots of the coasters and caps in the epoxy:
20200402-IMG_1403.jpg
20200402-IMG_1406.jpg

More detail of the wood accent wall, I really love how this turned out, exactly like my vision of how I wanted it.
20200402-IMG_1412.jpg

A shot of some more of the glassware, most of it I 'collected' during my travels in Belgium and Germany when I lived in Aachen on the border between those two countries.
20200402-IMG_1415.jpg

Lastly, I had my wife take a picture to re-create the photo I love of my son and I during construction of this room in 2015. It's a nice bookend for this project.
20200403-IMG_6612-2.jpg

Attachments

• 20200402-IMG_1410.jpg
    20200402-IMG_1410.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
So I've got my finished photos done. I've been using this space as a home office the last month, as well as brewing quite a bit. It's working great for both purposes! Cheers everyone, stay healthy!

Large panorama of the finished room:
View attachment 676658

Below is my home-office setup (with a great view), I use a bistro table and a custom monitor stand I made for a sit/stand desk setup.
View attachment 676657

View of water treatment shelf and wood wall:
View attachment 676659

the lowest shelf with the ceramic and metal tins has all my water treatment salts and acid, as well as a small scale in the tins.
View attachment 676660

two detail shots of the coasters and caps in the epoxy:
View attachment 676661 View attachment 676663

More detail of the wood accent wall, I really love how this turned out, exactly like my vision of how I wanted it.
View attachment 676666

A shot of some more of the glassware, most of it I 'collected' during my travels in Belgium and Germany when I lived in Aachen on the border between those two countries.
View attachment 676667

Lastly, I had my wife take a picture to re-create the photo I love of my son and I during construction of this room in 2015. It's a nice bookend for this project.
View attachment 676669

Awesome post, and the bookend pics with your kids are perfect. Congrats!

Hi all I wanted to share I was super excited to see my build get an entire page in this years Gadgets issue of Zymurgy! 2020 sucked but I spent almost every day in this room working from home, and it's working great as as brew space, i'm living the dream!

Home Brewery.jpg

Attachments

• Zymurgy Cover.jpg
    Zymurgy Cover.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
Fantastic job. Looks like you are my neighbor, from the picture looks like you are nestled against North Table Mountain. I am just about 5 to 10 minutes from there.

Back