Grits vs. Craked Corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40dave

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for flaked corn I have started to use quick grits, it's more available and cheaper I cook the grits first to gelatinize them and then add it to the mash. I have done a few experiments and cannot tell the difference between this and flaked corn but with quick grits I have found the gelatinization step is necessary. I was an an errand today and stopped by a feed store that sells craked corn. It's a little cheaper than quick grits from Walmart. I was wondering if anybody has experience using craked corn. Thanks.

I just bought flaked corn at my favorite online brewing store for $1.89 per lb. My last Cream Ale recipe called for 1 lb. It wouldn't be worth it to me to experiment with feed store corn that is made for animal feed (or to cook grits for that matter).

I use quick grits in place of flaked corn. They are pre gelatinized so I just add them dry when I dough in. What do you notice with them when cooking prior to mashing?

Flaked corn can go straight in the mash, period. No pre-processing required.
"Instant Grits" (aka "Minute Grits") can also go straight in the mash.
"Quick Grits" are borderline - I've read folks recommending cooking them before adding to the mash, others say it's not necessary.
"Regular Grits" definitely need cooking prior to adding to the mash...

Cheers!

Thanks for that d-t. I probably misspoke above in saying that quick grits are pregelatinized. They are not. They are fine ground to facilitate 5 minute cooking. Instant grits are indeed precooked.

I use organic stone ground yellow grits. I do the cereal mash with pils malt for liquefaction and after the 20 min boil I add it to the main mash as a decoction step.

Latest posts

Back