grinder/stuffer recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
I would like to get a manual sausage grinder, preferably also capable of stuffing as well. I don't want to invest too much since i am just starting, and I don't want multiple pieces of equipment taking up storage.

I typically avoid Chinese products like the plague, but i've been looking at this model, which has good reviews and seems to have everything i would need:

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/stainless-steel-clamp-on-hand-grinder/butcher-meat-grinders
was wondering if anyone else is familiar with their products and can recommend or not?

One concern i have is if the stainless finish will last? or require regular oiling like my old plated grinder - I have an old heirloom1899 Universal, and the finish has worn off where each part comes in contact with other parts, and is prone to rusting regardless of how hard i work to maintain it, and the care it requires is more trouble than it is worth

There isn't a finish on that grinder, it's just made from stainless. How well it holds up depends on what exact type of stainless it's made from, and if it's actually made from whatever the manufacturer says it's made from.

Also, I do like my Kitchenaid stand mixer grinder attachment. I got the all metal one, not the plastic. If you have a stand mixer it's worthwhile. Otherwise a manual one might be better as standalone motorized ones can be spendy.

I don't have a kitchenaid, and I came across too many stories about electric grinders leaking oil into the product, so i am opting to nix them from consideration.

I would not recommend trying to stuff and grind with same device.

The LEM 5# vertical stuffer on Amazon is a good deal. It's a standard design. I have a very similar one I got from a different manuf, $85, but I see they don't make it anymore.

I'll 2nd #passedpawn on the LEM stuffer recommendation. Worth every penny! I tried the kitchenaid attachment and it just frustrated me. I have my butcher grind the meat for me. Make things go so much faster.

LEM products are solid. I would NOT go with a 5# hopper because a sausage casing holds MORE than 5-lbs. So you'd have to knot, cut, knot and start over again for the next link.

MC

Bigger will save you a little time for sure. However, knotting and refilling is not a very big deal. For somebody processing whole animals, larger and powered might be warranted. But for my purposes, making 10# of sausage a few times a year, it's been perfect. Also, you need to find a place to store it (mine's in the attic!).

Bigger will save you a little time for sure. However, knotting and refilling is not a very big deal. For somebody processing whole animals, larger and powered might be warranted. But for my purposes, making 10# of sausage a few times a year, it's been perfect. Also, you need to find a place to store it (mine's in the attic!).

Refilling for 1/4 of a casing if a bit annoying - that's why I upgraded mine. Mine is in the garage over a fridge but the attic is not out of the question! :D

MC

Latest posts

Back