Grifo Bottle Capper.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never buy that. Overpriced, over complicated. While it probably works just fine, but for > $200, what a waste of money. Just search on ebay for cast iron bottle capper. For <$30 you can have a bench top bottle capper that will last longer the you do. No aluminum or plastic.

While I agree that it is over priced, it sure doesn't seem very complicated. It actually looks very simple to adjust and use. But yeah, I couldn't justify spending 2 big ones for it.

Reminds me of an ammunition reloading press. The use of gearing to control the downward pressure strikes me as something that would allow better control over the capping.

Would I buy it? I'd like to see and try it before I'd consider it. And then, there's the issue of whether I could put that money somewhere else that would improve my brewing more.

That said, it's unclear why it is so expensive. One can get an excellent single-stage reloading press for under $150; that's all this really is, though the ram moves from the top down, not the bottom up.

Bottle capper is a very, very simple device. Doubt there are many here that would spend so much on something so simple. I have a super agata that was about $30-40 (think i got at 20% off) and i wouldnt drop anymore than that on something like that. Past that id either make one myself or make a jig to fit a 26mm capping bell onto my homemade drill press (just to use the downward pressing force). I think many here are like me, DIY'ers. In fact with the 4 to 1 gear ratio the drill press would make things even easier. Not that the amount of pressure it takes is anything that matters though.

Back