Green Chili Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster looking for some advice. I recently brewed a red/amber ale it tasted great after primary fermentation, then transferred to a secondary and added my roasted green chilies in a hop bag, let them soak for 24 hours, then went to sample/taste and my mouth almost blew off! Not much beer flavor left, just green chili flavor. I removed the chilies obviously, but now I'm not sure what to do. Will the chili flavor subside? Could I dry hop to mellow at least aromas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

rdkopp0153 said:
Hi, first time poster looking for some advice. I recently brewed a red/amber ale it tasted great after primary fermentation, then transferred to a secondary and added my roasted green chilies in a hop bag, let them soak for 24 hours, then went to sample/taste and my mouth almost blew off! Not much beer flavor left, just green chili flavor. I removed the chilies obviously, but now I'm not sure what to do. Will the chili flavor subside? Could I dry hop to mellow at least aromas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Bottle it and sample periodically. Don't dump it until you give it a chance to mellow out. You did not mention how many chilies and also if you left seeds intact. The seeds themselves are the main component of capsacin, sp?

Some of the spice may mellow but the flavor really won't. I'm not sure what kind of green chiles you used but I made a blonde ale with hatch chiles and even the last few bottles that were about 18 months old still had a clear and mostly fresh chile flavor.

If the flavor or heat is overpowering the easiest way to fix your problem is to make more of the same beer and blend the two together so you dilute the chile.

I used a small Ziploc bag 1/2 full of Pueblo Green Chiles.
A friend also suggested, that if it's really spicy, just make a red beer (tomato juice and beer) out of it.
Thanks for the tips, and I'll hope for the best after bottling!

A quick update for green chili beer makers...after another 4 days in the secondary (without chilies), this beer is not only salvageable, but seems delicious! With my first taste, maybe the chili liquid hadn't dissolved, so I was tasting a higher ratio of chili than beer. Whatever happened, I love it! I guess time will tell if another transformation takes place through carbonation and conditioning.
I thought for sure I was going to have my first wasted batch, my spirits are again high and my love for homebrewing continues! Patience really is the name of the game here.

Back