"Green" beer taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a few years but never ran into this issue.

I wanted to make a beer quick, which is not like me,so I picked up my all grain ingredients and did an amber

After 7 days fermentation was done. @ 10 days i decided to cold crash for 3 days. Then kegged and carbed for 4 days.

Total 17 days. Only 10 at room temp.

I tasted the beer tonight and it was not what I expected.

My thoughts is that is too young, "green", which is making it bitter on the front end and masking the malty flavors.

Typically, I would always age a beer for at least 3 weeks at room temp so I have never tasted young beer.

The bitterness is not supposed to be there.

My question: are these the "green" flavors I am tasting? If so, does my keg need to be brought out of cold storage and back to room temp to clean up?

Some thoughts come to mind, what was your fermentation temp? Did you make a starter? What is the recipe? What water do you use?

My first reaction is the water is your culprit in that initial bitterness, it's like a harsh almost astringent bitterness?

I've drank a decent amount of green beer (I'm curious). It can have a bitter taste like you describe. It may be because the hops are more out front when it's young. After they mellow a bit the malt shines through. You want to drink an IPA young for the same reason.

As far as warming it up. I believe it'll condition quicker when it's warm

It also seems to have a lingering bitter bite that hangs around for a long time. Something I am not familiar with in a beer

Like you said, it might just be hops that need mellowing. Should I keep in fridge or take out for room temp aging?

I amended my post earlier. From what I've read it'll condition better warm. Maybe rouse the keg to get some yeasties back in suspension. I take it you're not a fan of IPAs?? :)

Love IPAs! But it's not the type of bitter I want. Just odd. Hopefully it will fall out. I might take the keg out and let it warm back up.

Took the keg back out. Hopefully there are still some yeast friends and fun stuff in there to clean it up

Took the keg back out. Hopefully there are still some yeast friends and fun stuff in there to clean it up

Latest posts

Back