Great cider before super kleer - now tastes medicinal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globell

Reaction score
Help. A couple of weeks ago I did a final racked from a fresh pressed cider I started in september and then added some superkleer.

It was/is a lovely cider (nicest to date) but now has this horrible taste.
I just put it in the keg to chill.

Do you think that the taste will change? Maybe fall out? I'm sure I tasted it about 4 days ago and it didn't have that taste or it was barely there.

Used super kleer a lot and have only ever had this taste once...and it was really bad. That time I only let it sit for 4-5 days and it was suggested to let it rest more.

Concerned about this batch and onces going forward.

Any suggestions would be helpful

I see that superkleer is "is made up of 50ml Chitosan and 15ml Kieselsol". Chitosan is made from crab and or shrimp shells. Keisesol is super fine silica suspended in water. Keiselsol has a negative charge so by putting it in your batch, anything with a positive charge will stick to it and the two particles stuck together are dense enough to sink to the bottom. Chitosan has a positive charge so it mops up suspended stuff that has a negative charge and they sink to the bottom. Rack the cider and leave the crud behind.

So what went wrong? Maybe some of the chitosan is still suspended in your cider and it tastes fishy. Adding more Kieselsol shouldn't make it worse. Take some samples and add different doses of keselsol, let them sit a couple of days and taste them.

I like this link because it lays out the basics of fining agents.

Back