Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewse

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new homebrewer and I'm still working with extracts. I'm having trouble hitting the recipe OG and FG measurements. I currently have an double IPA in secondary fermentation. This was the first time I used a secondary fermentation process. The OG was fairly close but short of where it should have started at. I took another reading when I moved the wort to the seconday (after 7 days). The reading was way short from where I expected it to be. In the seconday, I still need to add dry hops, according to the recipe, and let it condition for 7-14 days. Since yeast is not added to the secondary, am I just freaking out too early or should I be worried?

You shouldn't have to worry about hitting/missing your O.G. with extract batches, as there's no conversion happening. Whatever sugars are in the extract are already there and locked in - there's no way to NOT hit your O.G.. F.G., on the other hand, can be a trickier beast with extract batches, as extract batches are notorious for stopping at around 1.020 (the 1.020 "curse"). If that's what your experiencing, then that's perfectly normal, and not really indicative of a flaw in your process.

You shouldn't have to worry about hitting/missing your O.G. with extract batches, as there's no conversion happening. Whatever sugars are in the extract are already there and locked in - there's no way to NOT hit your O.G.. F.G., on the other hand, can be a trickier beast with extract batches, as extract batches are notorious for stopping at around 1.020 (the 1.020 "curse"). If that's what your experiencing, then that's perfectly normal, and not really indicative of a flaw in your process.

Thanks much!

I'm sorry kombat but though you've seen this to be common I've never had an issue with my extract batches stopping early.

Regardless of that chewse your issue with starting gravity could be a volume issue or if you're topping off with eater after the boil it could be that you're just not mixing thoroughly before taking a reading. As kombat said extract kits have everything you need to hit your OG and unless you're changing the recipe it will be right short of a water volume difference.

I'm curious what your actual gravity numbers were beginning and ending. And what temperature you're fermenting at. Also when you transferred were there signs of fermentation still taking place?

As for your question about yeast in secondary even though you can't see it there is a lot of yeast in suspension. So you've still got active yeast in your secondary. Assuming there's not some other issue if there's still sugar to be consumed the yeast will consume it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

My OG was 1.045 and when I put the wort in the secondary, it was 1.02. I was expecting closer to 1.0. The extract called for a 3-gallon boil and to bring it up to 5 gallons in the primary fermenter. The yeast was pitched dry at 72-74 degrees and started doing it's job right away (within 24 hrs). The yeast was visable active for 3 days and still showed very positive movement when I moved it to secondary. However, in secondary, I just don't see much sign of active yeast. The glass carboy is in a closet with the temp between 70-72 degrees. The directions call for the secondary to sit for between 7-14 days depending on the gravity. I'm to put in dry hops at 5 days before bottling and 3 days before bottling. I'm don't want to put in the hops until I have stong indications the beer is ready.

I'm sorry kombat but though you've seen this to be common I've never had an issue with my extract batches stopping early.

Perhaps there's something different about your process, but this very thread is further evidence that the issue does in fact exist. The OP has brewed an extract batch that has stopped at 1.020, just like countless others who have experienced the "1.020 extract curse." He appears to have done most everything else correctly; how do you explain the high finishing gravity if not due to the extract presence?

I've read several times about people transferring when there was still activity and it stalls the fermentation. It might pick back up on its own but you may need to pitch more yeast. Don't blame yourself for following the directions. Blame the directions for rushing you through the process. You honestly don't really need to secondary as you can dry hop in the primary.

And as far as your starting gravity I'm sure the top off water isn't fully mixed so you're getting a little lower gravity which isn't a problem other than making you concerned about the reading.

Perhaps there's something different about your process, but this very thread is further evidence that the issue does in fact exist. The OP has brewed an extract batch that has stopped at 1.020, just like countless others who have experienced the "1.020 extract curse." He appears to have done most everything else correctly; how do you explain the high finishing gravity if not due to the extract presence?

Im inclined to believe its due to people doing what he did and racking to secondary while still in the middle of active fermentation. And that happens because the instructions they got with their kit say to move it after so many days instead of telling them to wait for a stable gravity.

I'm not saying you're wrong but simply stating that a gravity of 1.020 for an extract kit is normal and means its done isn't true in all cases.

I did a kit from Brewer's Best that said to move to secondary after 5-7 days, but before the fermentation ended. I just checked the numbers and it stopped at 1.020. BUT I checked the gravity when I racked it and it was 1.032, so it fermented more in secondary, just not much.

It was a Belgium Dark Strong ale. OG 1.075, FG 1.020 (recipe said FG of 1.017-1.020).

So, when I do my next one, a porter, should I let it finish in primary (to a stable FG) before racking to secondary? how do I deal with head space in the carboy?

I'm used to cider, where I can top off.

So, when I do my next one, a porter, should I let it finish in primary (to a stable FG) before racking to secondary?

Yes. Don't rack it to secondary at all.

how do I deal with head space in the carboy?

Keep the airlock filled to the proper level. The headspace of the carboy will already be almost entirely devoid of oxygen as it will have been forced out and replaced with CO2 during fermentation. Don't worry about the headspace in primary as long as you keep the fermenter well-sealed.

So, Kombat, are you suggesting I ferment the whole run in a carboy? I'm not opposed to that, I've just never done primary in a carboy before.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. There are lots of threads on here debating the merits of racking to secondary, but the current generally-accepted consensus is that it is unnecessary unless you're adding something post-fermentation (like fruit or dry hops). It exposes the beer to risk of oxidation or infection, with no real benefit other than freeing up the primary fermenter for another batch.

Back