Gravity vs. pump system question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max_h

Reaction score
So I brew all grain- no pumps, no tiers- just a pitcher to measure and move mash/sparge water around and I use my keggle as both my HLT and BK. Question- when you use a gravity system or a pump system, how do you measure/regulate the amount of water you are pushing from one vessel to another? Are you simply eyeballing the site tube? It seems like I have seen photos of both gravity and pump systems without site tubes on the HLT.

I use a gravity 2 tier system and batch sparge, I heat my strike water volume and add to mash, While mashing I heat my sparge water volume. When the mash is complete I drain to kettle and begin heating while I batch sparge to pre boil volume. So I am still measuring my volumes for usage.

If you fly sparge then you can heat your strike water, add to mash and if using a pump system or gravity and can then recirculate your mash while your sparge water is heating, then fly sparge to your pre-boil volume. Pumps basically just move your volumes for you if you are currently lifting, etc. They just take the place of gravity and allow you to recirculate if that's what you want to do.

Not sure if this answers your questions.

Back