Gravity unchanged, still bubbling 23rd day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon488

Reaction score
First, let me say that I understand that the airlock is not a fermentation indicator. And I understand that gravity readings are the only truly reliable indication of fermentation.

Okay, now that we've gotten that out of the way... I have a 5 gal batch of high gravity black IPA in primary. I pitched Pacman 23 days ago from a 1L starter. It took off within under 12 hours, fermented strongly for nearly a week, and then settled down. Here on day 23, I still have bubbles coming out of the airlock a few times per minute. The temperature has stayed constant, around 60. The barometric pressure, of course, has risen and fallen numerous times in over 3 weeks. I've agitated the carboy to get CO2 out of solution. And yet here it is, still bubbling out of the airlock 23 days later, at about the same rate I've seen for the last two weeks. Gravity readings about a week apart have been the same, or at least similar enough that I couldn't discern a difference on my hydrometer. (About 1.020, down from 1.080 or so.) Something else that concerns me is that it has an awfully thin mouthfeel for something that, based on the numbers, should still have a decent amount of sugars left.

I posted about this batch earlier, thinking it might be infected. Now I'm not the only one. I've consulted four friends with about 35 combined years of homebrewing experience, and they're evenly split on the matter.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

It's probably still chugging along, albeit at a slow pace. Big beers, over 1070 or so, often take a good amount of time. you'll get 90% of your attenuation in the first 7-10 days, and then the other 10% will take you a month or so. I'd just give it time.

As for the mouthfeel, how accustomed are you to tasting hydrometer samples? Everything tastes thin and a bit ugly straight from the carboy. Is this thinner than most samples? If it's still fermenting, and there's still a good amount of yeast in the sample, that will affect the flavor as well. You just made a big beer; give it another week or three and reassess.

1.080 is big enough to last a little longer. Plus, 60 degrees will slow things down. Move it to a secondary and brew something else. That'll take your mind off it for a few more weeks.

Back