Gravity too high - Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbhy

Reaction score
I brewed an Altbier with my own recipe derived from a couple different sources. The recipe was 4.5 lbs of munich and 4.5 lbs of pils with a little bit of caramunich (~1lb) and chocolate wheat(3 oz). The yeast that I used in wlp036 Dusseldorf Alt.

My starting gravity was around 1.048, but my FG is sitting at 1.018 currently. The BJCP range for Dusseldorf alts is 1.010-1.015. Any recommendations for getting these yeasties up and partying again? Should i stir/shake? Perhaps add a little yeast nutrient? Fermentation has been going on for 16 days thus far. Oh, and I did make a 1 liter starter.

Warn it up 5-10 degrees and rouse the yeast cake. That should get you a few points, unless what is left is unfermentable

I recently did an APA that was supposed to finish at 1.015 (or there abouts). After two weeks, with two gravity readings between them, it finished at 1.033 (!). I was afraid I'd have bottle bombs but didnt, and the finished product is great. I wager it was my relatively high mash temp that just resulted in a few too many unfermentable sugars.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Home Brew mobile app

Triple decoction with a protein rest. Sach rest was like 153 I believe. Mashed out at 170

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just did a double decoction alt and had a similar issue. I thought I was going to be in the low teens to finish and I finished at 1015. I think the decoction may have had something to do with it. It was my first decoction. I know if I had done a single infusion and sparged as normal I would have gotten to 1012. I pitched a huge starter.

Like I said. I think it's the decoction. It just makes a richer, maltier beer when you use a good chunk of Munich.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back