Gravity that just wont finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaviator23

Reaction score
Ok guys I am a bit lost I am brewing a Sunny Oat Ale with this.

2 row
honey malt
cara vienne malt
golden oats

also used
malto dextrin
wheat DME and extra pale extract

pitched dry nottingham

My OG was 1.052 and it was pitched 4/20. 4/27 activity seemed to stop in the airlock so I took a reading 1.021. I gently stirred the yeast...still nothing...ended up pitching some more yeast and activity is back. Checked today and the gravity is still 1.020. Would any of the ingredients throw the gravity reading off?

Ok guys I am a bit lost I am brewing a Sunny Oat Ale with this.

2 row
honey malt
cara vienne malt
golden oats

also used
malto dextrin
wheat DME and extra pale extract

pitched dry nottingham

My OG was 1.052 and it was pitched 4/20. 4/27 activity seemed to stop in the airlock so I took a reading 1.021. I gently stirred the yeast...still nothing...ended up pitching some more yeast and activity is back. Checked today and the gravity is still 1.020. Would any of the ingredients throw the gravity reading off?

what are you checking the gravity with ? hydrometer ?

all the best

S_M

pitch temp, rehydration?, ambient temp. of ferm room. Answer these maybe we can narrow it down.

pitch temp, rehydration?, ambient temp. of ferm room. Answer these maybe we can narrow it down.

I am checking with a floating hydrometer

pitch temp 85
Rehydration- yes 15min 85 degree water per package instructions
ambiant temp room 70
wort temp 72
raised temp to 80 at repitch with lamps in the room.

I use the homebrew calc to correct readings for temp.

How much maltodextrin did you use? Yeast will not eat maltodextrin, so it's effectively just raising the FG. Depending on what the mash temp was, I'm not surprised it finished where it did. 8 oz of maltodextrin to a 5 gallon batch could add 4 points to the FG, or even 8 points if you used a whole pound. With Notty and "average" fermentability, you're probably finishing in the mid teens anyway, so that's about right.

What was your mash temp and how long?

155 45min

A 155 degree mash is very warm and will give you a lot of unfermentable sugars. 45 minutes should do it but 60 minutes is more normal.

That combined with the extracts used could easily lead to 1.020 as where the yeast can take this one.

Taste it. If it is not too sweet just go for it. If it is too sweet I don't have any suggestions. I have one that was sweet and my attempts to fix were unsuccessful.

A 155 degree mash is very warm and will give you a lot of unfermentable sugars. 45 minutes should do it but 60 minutes is more normal.

That combined with the extracts used could easily lead to 1.020 as where the yeast can take this one.

Taste it. If it is not too sweet just go for it. If it is too sweet I don't have any suggestions. I have one that was sweet and my attempts to fix were unsuccessful.

It was a 45 min steep of speciality grains plus extract.

1 3/4 lb 2 row
1/2 lb honey malt
1/2 lb golden oats
1/2 lb Carla vienne malt

8oz malto dextrin
2 lbs wheat dime
3lbs extra pale extract

It was a 45 min steep of speciality grains plus extract.

1 3/4 lb 2 row
1/2 lb honey malt
1/2 lb golden oats
1/2 lb Carla vienne malt

8oz malto dextrin
2 lbs wheat dime
3lbs extra pale extract

Yeah, all that information, 1.020 is about what I would have expected. Who's recipe was it? What was the projected FG? I'm not sure why maltodextrin was in there, because it would have been better without it.

With the 2 row in the recipe this is really a partial mash recipe. The grains should have been mashed somewhere between 148 and 152 for an hour. Lower would be drier, warmer would be sweeter.

I think it is as low as it is going to go

Yeah, all that information, 1.020 is about what I would have expected. Who's recipe was it? What was the projected FG? I'm not sure why maltodextrin was in there, because it would have been better without it.

Yea I'm thinking it should have been 4oz for body, 8 is going to be sweet. I'm going to rack it and drop some vanilla beans and cocoa nibs to try and bring down the sweetness.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Golden-Ales/AHS-Sunny-Oats-Ale-6D.html#.VUVvlqKCOK0

If you think it is drinkable as is then I would leave it be. If not, I would take the opportunity to experiment. Fresh Ginger root is a good source of alpha amaylase. With a little time in the fermenter the juice might breakdown the malto dextrin into dextrose that can then be fermented. I'm not sure if this would actually work, so I would only try this if you don't find it drinkable as is.

Back