Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobainisalive

Reaction score
I'm doing a Stone IRS clone my OG was 1.100 it has been in primary for 6 days and the airlock is bubbling once every 10sec. Or so and the gravity right now is 1.040 and my target is 1.020. Am I on the right track. How much longer should I leave it in primary before moving to secondary? I used 2 WLP002 vials without a starter.

Let it go. You probably want to have that beer sit in the primary for at least another three weeks. Let the yeast do their job and you will be rewarded.

I'm doing a Stone IRS clone my OG was 1.100 it has been in primary for 6 days and the airlock is bubbling once every 10sec. Or so and the gravity right now is 1.040 and my target is 1.020. Am I on the right track. How much longer should I leave it in primary before moving to secondary? I used 2 WLP002 vials without a starter.

Well first, you underpitched. Next it sounds like it's doing fine. I would leave it on the cake for a month at least. Or consecutive hydrometer readings plus 2-3weeks. This is a big beer and you can't be in any hurry. You need to attenuate out and then you want the yeast to clean up. Give it somewhere around a month or better in the primary and then a long time in the secondary.

Just leave it even though when it stops bubbling? The recipe called for a week in primary and a week in secondary. I'm aware I underpitched now. I just did what the recihe called for.

Wow. That's a HUGE beer for just 2 vials without starters. That said, I hope you have a lot of patience because it's gonna take a lot to wait this one out. Wish you the best of luck and let us know how it turns out in a few months.

Just leave it even though when it stops bubbling? The recipe called for a week in primary and a week in secondary. I'm aware I underpitched now. I just did what the recihe called for.

You're doing a RIS, that's a HUUGE beer, it is really surprising that someone would say that would reach final graivity in a week....but that's the problem with forgetting the yeast is in charge, and not us.

In Mr Wizard's colum in BYO this month he made an interesting analogy about brewing and baking....He said that egg timers are all well and good in the baking process but they only provide a "rule of thumb" as to when something is ready...recipes, oven types, heck even atmospheric conditions, STILL have more bearing on when a cake is ready than the time it says it will be done in the cook book. You STILL have to stick a toothpick in the center and pull it out to see if truly the cake is ready.....otherwise you may end up with a raw cake....Even if the instructions say it should be done, it might not be.

Not too different from our beers....We can have a rough idea when our beer is ready (or use something silly like the 1-2-3 rule (which doesn't factor in things like yeast lag time or even ambient temp during fermentation) and do things to our beer willy nilly....but unless we actually stick "our toothpick" (the hydrometer) in and let it tell us when the yeasties are finished...we too can "f" our beer up.

Many of us don't secondary unless we are dry hopping, adding fruit or oak, and many do THAT in primary as well...We just leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks which gives the yeast plenty of time to ferment are beer, but also to finsih the job (fermenting's not the only thing) and clean up the messes they made. )They are actually pretty fastidious critters and if we actually let them stay with the beer for awhile will do us good.

Or Lagering or bulk aging a really big beer like this...otherwise we skip it.

Even Palmer in How to Brew advocates this.

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Even IF you choose to rack to secondary, wait til you reach your final gravity or pretty close to it, and wait a few days more..If I DO secondary which is rare these days, I usually do it around the 14th day...That usually gives plenty of time to reach my gravity approximately, and a few day of the yeastie to do their cleaning thing.

But you are making a huge beeer...that's why it's called IMPERIAL...I wouldn't rush any part of this process if you want it to be awesome...If I did secondary after 2-3 weeks in primary I would secondary if for at least a month, if not more to bulk age it, then bottle, expecting it will need a couple months more to carb and condition.

yes leave it. A week will not cut it on a normal 1050 beer.

Time is a great thing when it comes to beer. As a new brewer some people will recommend the 1-2-3 method, but with something this high of gravity you need longer. For example, if you transfered tomorrow (7days) the beer would never attenuate because you're taking an actively fermenting beer off the yeast.
After is is done fermenting(which is not indicated by an airlock not bubbling) you should leave it on there for at least another week for the yeast to do some clean-up. Then you can transfer to secondary.

edit: I agree with everything revvy says. I also rarely secondary my beer. It's just not needed. However with something this big, I'd probably secondary it after a month or so in the primary just to get it off the yeast cake, because I would bulk age it in the secondary for 3-4+months probably.

yes leave it. A week will not cut it on a normal 1050 beer.

Time is a great thing when it comes to beer. As a new brewer some people will recommend the 1-2-3 method, but with something this high of gravity you need longer. For example, if you transfered tomorrow (7days) the beer would never attenuate because you're taking an actively fermenting beer off the yeast.
After is is done fermenting(which is not indicated by an airlock not bubbling) you should leave it on there for at least another week for the yeast to do some clean-up. Then you can transfer to secondary.

edit: I agree with everything revvy says. I also rarely secondary my beer. It's just not needed. However with something this big, I'd probably secondary it after a month or so in the primary just to get it off the yeast cake, because I would bulk age it in the secondary for 3-4+months probably.

The best reason I can see to transfer to a brite tank would be to free up the primary for the next brew!

The best reason I can see to transfer to a brite tank would be to free up the primary for the next brew!

Buckets are cheap, so are better bottles. No need to rush through a natural process just because you wanna brew again. That's why I have 9 different fermenters of various sizes. I can brew or secondary to my little heart's content. and never need to move somethig early purely to free something up.

Buckets are cheap, so are better bottles. No need to rush through a natural process just because you wanna brew again. That's why I have 9 different fermenters of various sizes. I can brew or secondary to my little heart's content. and never need to move somethig early purely to free something up.

SWMBO is not so forgiving when it comes to buying new equipment or taking up what little storage room we have left. BUT she's given me the green light when we move into the next house to have a brew room. Plan on having at least 3 buckets and 4 or 5 carboys as well as a continually growing kegging system. Ah......a man can dream.

FWIW, buckets are only like $7, and they stack inside each other so they don't take up much room.

You're preaching to the choir brother. I've already had this discussion with her and my efforts have all been fruitless. I think she's just trying to subversively limit the amount of space I will use while fermenting as well as the additional costs and time for the ingredients and extra brew days. It's probably a smart thing to go along with her right now. Times are getting leaner. I'm actually sharing costs and equipment with a brew buddy right now for the bigger beers. I figure that's probably the best way to go.

I have had some people tell me to stir it everyday for the next week really vigorously then let it sit for another week. Would this rous the yeast to make the gravity come down to what it needs to be?

I have had some people tell me to stir it everyday for the next week really vigorously then let it sit for another week. Would this rous the yeast to make the gravity come down to what it needs to be?

I am a firm believer in the "if it doesn't come naturally leave it" school of brewing. It's been working for 4,000+ years.

Seriously, you are only 6 days into fermentation of a BIG beer. There is NOTHING wrong with the beer and where it is at for it's Original gravity, and the time it has been given by you to work...Most of us are telling you, that the beer is RIGHT WHERE IT SHOULD BE AT THIS STAGE.

Just leave it alone for at least another week...

Stepaway_copy.jpg

:D

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine when to "do something," or how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

Your beer Russian IMPERIAL Stout is somewhere on the far right of the scale. "Imperial" means it is a big beer, so it is taking it's time...

:D

I agree with Revvy. I wouldn't shake it. I wouldn't even do another SG reading until some time in August--late August.

Sorry, just over thinking everything and have too many people telling me different things. Thanks again for everyones help.

Latest posts

Back