Gravity filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson1983

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to filter my beer, but I cannot afford a Keg-setup right now.

My local home brewing shop offer this filtration system for filtering between kegs.

29303_Bryggselv_Hardware_Filtreringskit_til__l_1.jpg

With a few modifications, could this or other similar systems be used by just using gravity (from bucket to bucket), and if this works, will there be enough yeast left for bottling with sugar? It says that if you use a 5 micron filter, there will still be some yeast left in the beer.

Thank you! :mug:

Thank you. I don't have room in my fridge. You think the gelatin-process will work in room temperature?

Gravity alone will probably not work with that kind of setup. You are probably better off using gelatin at the end of fermentation to clear it up.

That is made for pressure transferring and filtering. Gravity will not pass it through the filter. Filtering is not an easy task, most who try it realize there are much easier ways to produce clean clear beer. Gelatin or just cold prolonged storage for a week or three will clear a beer nicely.

Thank you. I don't have place in my fridge. You think the gelatin-process will work in room temperature?

Gelatin makes the dormant yeast clump up more so it settle out faster. It will work at room temperature but it will work faster if the beer is colder.

Thank you. I don't have place in my fridge. You think the gelatin-process will work in room temperature?

If its cold outside, stick the fermentor outside and protect it from light or wind(if its below freezing). I do this in the fall and winter.

The gelatin will work much better if the fermentor is cold. If there is no way of getting it cold, the gelatin will still work, just not nearly as well.

If its cold outside, stick the fermentor outside and protect it from light or wind(if its below freezing). I do this in the fall and winter.

The gelatin will work much better if the fermentor is cold. If there is no way of getting it cold, the gelatin will still work, just not nearly as well.

Yes, that's a great idea. Thank you!

Brew-tuber about gelatin and cold crashing:

I would cold crash to eliminate as many chill haze proteins as possible, but I personally wouldn't add a clarifying agent to a bottle conditioned beer - eliminating a lot of the yeast in solution. With cold crashing, bottle conditioning time will be longer (3-6 weeks), and with a clarifying agent even longer (if ever).

True or false? I just put my beer outside and plan to use gelatin and bottle after.

True, I believe there will still be enough yeast to bottle condition after cold crashing and gelatin. Your bottle conditioning times seem long to me. 2-3 weeks at 70 F should do give you carbonation on most beers...maybe less???

Back