Grapefruit recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menotu

Reaction score
hey guys and gals,

im looking for either an ipa or double ipa recipe with strong grapefruit notes. Ive done extract and partial mash kits recipes thus far so please keep any recommendations in that category, also 5 gallons. This is a recipe for my dad who is finally a craft beer believer. his birthday is in a few months an would love to make something special for him. Ive got about 9 batches under my belt but its nowhere near enough for me to do this on my own. thanks for any info you can contribute.

I haven't done extract for several years but here goes.
6.6lbs light LME
2lbs light DME
1/2lb crystal 60
1/2lb carapils
1oz warrior @ 60
1oz Citra @ 20
1oz Citra @ 15
1oz Citra @ 10
1oz Citra @ 5
1oz Citra @ flame out let steep for 10 mins before cooling
Dry hop with 1oz Citra

You could also add the peel of a grapefruit at flame out and let steep for 10 mins also I've done it before with good success.

Simply grapefruit could be added about 5 days into fermentation for more grapefruit flavor and aroma.

Citra doesn't taste much like grapefruit to me (more tropical, papaya/mango). Cascade, Comet, Chinook, and Ahtanum have a lot of that flavor in my experience.

Here are some notes I gathered on Grapefruit Sculpin...

1.065 OG / 1.011 FG
5.5 gallon batch

Grist:
88.0% Domestic 2-Row (or Light DME w/8% Corn Sugar)
4.00% CaraVienne 20L
4.00% Caramel 10L
4.00% CaraPils (exclude if using DME)

^Some Lactic Acid or Acid Malt if you need it. Also, consider Gypsum to boost Sulfate levels.

Mash Schedule:
-90 minute mash at 148F (if doing all grain)
-Chinook mash hop pellets added after 30-35 minutes
-First Wort Hop w/2:1 combo Simcoe/Chinook added after the 90 minutes is complete, but before the boil
-Be sure to use adequate Gypsum to boost Sulfates to acceptable levels.

Hop Schedule:
Mash Hop/First Wort Hop around 90 minutes/60/30/0/Dryhop (all pellets)

The Boil:
60 minute, full-rolling boil bittering charge w/2:1:1 combo of Simcoe, Chinook, Centennial
30 minutes left in boil, add 2:1 combo of Simcoe & Cascade
10 minutes left in boil, add Whirlfloc
5 minutes left in boil, add YeastEx

Post-Boil:
Whirlpool with some combo of Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Columbus

Primary Fermentation:
Cool down to the low 60s(F) and ferment with a healthy WLP001 starter for 6 days

Secondary:
Rack off yeast and add 4 oz. dryhops for 4 more days with the same hop combo as the whirlpool and the zest of 5 ruby red grapefruits, & possibly a few peeled, pith-free grapefruit halves.

Kegging/Bottling:
Add fresh ruby red grapefruit juice to the keg/bottles. The juice has to taste good for your palate; it shouldn't be too bitter/pithy or too sweet.

Keg/bottle with moderately high to high carbonation. Stage 2 dryhop in the keg, if kegging.

Citra doesn't taste much like grapefruit to me (more tropical, papaya/mango). Cascade, Comet, Chinook, and Ahtanum have a lot of that flavor in my experience.

Agreed. But I would replace Ahtanum with Amarillo or Centennial. Ahtanum always gave me more orange, spice, and earthiness. It's more of a British IPA hop.

I haven't done extract for several years but here goes.
6.6lbs light LME
2lbs light DME
1/2lb crystal 60
1/2lb carapils
1oz warrior @ 60
1oz Citra @ 20
1oz Citra @ 15
1oz Citra @ 10
1oz Citra @ 5
1oz Citra @ flame out let steep for 10 mins before cooling
Dry hop with 1oz Citra

You could also add the peel of a grapefruit at flame out and let steep for 10 mins also I've done it before with good success.

Simply grapefruit could be added about 5 days into fermentation for more grapefruit flavor and aroma.

thanks this looks pretty interesting. I like the idea of using some grapefruit zest too

Here are some notes I gathered on Grapefruit Sculpin...

I had never heard of this beer, upon doing a little reading it sounds like it could be fun too.

The recommendation I got from Yuseff at Ballast Point was to use grapefruit skin (with as little pith as possible as it is bitter) as a dry hop. He recommended against using it at flame out because it will add extra harsh bitterness. He also suggested using hops that provide a grapefruit like aroma and flavor such as Cascade.

I've never had the Grapefruit Sculpin but I've had the regular and it does have a grapefruit taste.

However it does not beat the Great Lakes Chillwave for grapefruit flavor. That beer only uses nugget (for bittering I presume), cascade and mosaic.

This year I picked up a 4 pack when it first came out and it didn't taste like grapefruit. I attribute that to a heavy dry hop and being so fresh. I picked up another 4 pack the other day because I'm in the process of doing a clone.

It basically tastes like grapefruit juice but it's a beer. It is unreal how much this stuff tastes like grapefruit.

Grains include 2-row, crystal, and honey malt. When I get home I can post the recipe that I did over the weekend if you want. I didn't achieve the 1.09 gravity I wanted though. I overshot the batch size and ended up at 1.077. I'm hoping that I hit the flavor correct though.

This is a recipe that I just forced carbed. It's very lightly carbonated but I must say that I gave my wife a taste and she said that it tastes like grapefruit juice. I thought the same thing which is why I had her taste it.

This is not what I was expecting from this recipe at all. I thought that with the biscuit I would get more of a bready flavor. I'm a little disappointed in that regard but this beer is fantastic!

BIAB

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.5 %
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.4 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5 3.7 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 6.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 15.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 16.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 0.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 1.0 IBUs
1.60 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.70 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.60 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Wyeast London Ale
Mash 154 for 60 minutes

OG 1.066
FG 1.016

Where it says that there are 1 minute hop additions it's actually at flame out.

Back