Grapefruit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude22

Reaction score
Best way to make a grapefruit IPA using actual grapefruit. And not just getting all the bitterness but getting the flavor and aroma across

Looks interesting. I am not a huge fan of flavor extracts. I have used them in the past but prefer not. I made a red IPA with citra cascades and simcoe I wanted that grapefruit feel and I figured these three would do it I am going to keg it then brew the same exact recipe then next time add grapefruit peels to the boil and grapefruit to the fermentor at deferent times during the ferment.

For my grapefruit IPA I take 4 grapefruits and zest them. Then I collect all the zest and put it in a glass bowl with some vodka to kill any germs. I let that sit for a day or two. Then I add the zest and vodka along with my dry hops to the fermenter and let it sit for a couple days before kegging. It gives the beer a great citrus flavor and aroma without the bitterness you might get from boiling or soaking grapefruit peel.

Lots of cascade and yes I too zest two whole grapefruits per five gallons and dry hop the last 7 days with it. In addition I add grapefruit peel (the dry kind) in near the end of the boil

90% 2 row, 10% C40
Simcoe to bitter
columbus at 15
simcoe, nugget, at 5
columbus at FO, WP
simcoe and columbus dry hop

I'm aging a grapefruit green tea APA right now, grapefruit was there in the sample after primary I took yesterday.

What I did was zest 3 big grapefruit (just the orange peel not the white pith) and then took the flesh (again no white stuff) and tossed it into the mash, quartered. I soaked the zest in vodka during primary and tossed it into secondary with an oz of citra.

Columbus hops at 15 min or so helped a bunch with the grapefruit flavor.

90% 2 row, 10% C40
Simcoe to bitter
columbus at 15
simcoe, nugget, at 5
columbus at FO, WP
simcoe and columbus dry hop

Galena is pretty grapefruit bitter as well. I just sampled some powder on Tuesday. It's like a citrus zest flavor.

If you're a fan of Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin, Northern Brewer has a clone kit called Grapefruit Pulpin'.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/grapefruit-pulpin-all-grain-kit

It features Chinook, Cascade and Amarillo hops and dried grapefruit peel that you soak in vodka for 2 days before adding it in with the dry hops. I've brewed it and actually thought it was better than Grapefruit Sculpin.

I'd also recommend using Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast. It's the best one I've used to date for citrusy IPAs. I've brewed one recipe where I used grapefruit zest soaked in vodka and Wyeast 1056, then turned around and brewed the same recipe without the grapefruit zest and used Wyeast 1272, and the one with 1272 had far more grapefruit flavor and aroma.

...and zest from at least 1 grapefruit per gallon - dried in oven at 250 for 15 or 20 minutes, or until just barely starting to get toasty-looking - added to the boil with 5 minutes left in the boil. You can use whole peel if you want it to be a little more bitter.

I brewed a grapefruit IPA (clone of Brewdogs Elvis Juice), and it was amazing

Heavy on Amarillo, and used grapefruit zest (none of the white bits!) both at the end of the boil & after fermentation via a vodka tincture.

Back