Grains Are their equals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
I am odering grains and I am being told Dark Munich is the same as Aromatic
and Cara Red is the same as CaraVienna?
Is this possible? The brand is Wiremans.

a little googling

http://www.realbeer.com/spencer/faq/grain.html said:
Aromatic (Mildly Kilned) 26 L

used at rates of up to 10%, aromatic malt will lend a distinct, almost exaggerated malt aroma and flavor to the finished ales and lagers. Aromatic malt also has a rich color and is high in diastatic power for aid in starch conversion. D/c aromatic malt. As the name suggests, adds aromatics to a beer. At 25 lovi, it is grouped in the upper end of the "munich malts" category. It shows conversion by itself, with a diastatic power of 29, as compared to d/c munich with a dp of 50 and pils with a dp of 105. When using aromatic malts, be sure to calculate the additional extract and color that will be added, since this malt contributes both.

And I also saw several references (mostly discussion forums) that suggested that CaraRed can be swapped out for CaraVienna.

A lot of these CaraBLAH grains are similar, but the names are trademarked.

CaraPils is a prime example of this. That's a trademarked name for caramelized pislner (essentially it's just an extremely light caramel malt).

Thank you very much. I really appricate you taking the time to answer that for me.

Sorry I just really need to confirm this. Dark Munich is going to be the same color as aromatic right?

Back