Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got the wortometer in and looking for suggestions on where to install it. I'm going to order silicone hose and need an idea of how much to get. You that have a wortometer like it? Thanks..

I just got the wortometer in and looking for suggestions on where to install it. I'm going to order silicone hose and need an idea of how much to get. You that have a wortometer like it? Thanks..

I believe that connects right after outflow of the cfc if I'm not mistaken. I've actually been thinking of getting one.

Don't know what happened to my last post... Oh well.. Jaymosbeershack, what style you brewing today. I'm getting ready for tomorrows brew. I'm going to do a Stout.

dont you guys just grab the hose and feel the temp and adjust the valve according to feel... i duno thats just me.

Any recommendations for a whirlpool paddle for the Grainfather?
Hi.
I use this one: https://www.homebrewsupply.com/28-in-plastic-paddle.html. It's not very expensive and does the job. I also use it to scrape the bottom of the GF occasionally during the boil to keep it from overheating due to a blanket of gunk. If you decide to whirlpool at the end of your boil, be cautious of not hitting the filter to hard or too often. Hope this helps. Ed

Hi.
I use this one: https://www.homebrewsupply.com/28-in-plastic-paddle.html. It's not very expensive and does the job. I also use it to scrape the bottom of the GF occasionally during the boil to keep it from overheating due to a blanket of gunk. If you decide to whirlpool at the end of your boil, be cautious of not hitting the filter to hard or too often. Hope this helps. Ed
Thanks Ed. I'll watch that filter..

OK, here's a question I don't have an answer for so I'm going to put it out there. I'm not an electrician but would dielectric grease work on the heater plug and the connect unit heater receptacle to form a better connection and maybe reduce plug/receptacle burnout?

I s-h-i-t on this app pretty hard, so I thought it was only fair that I come back and say it is improving. I still don't like all the clutter/adds/social media garbage, but at least it's functional now. I find that it works much better on my Android phone than my iPad.

Last edited:
you want to know how many screws hold it together? dude i duno grab a screwdriver and take it apart.

OK, here's a question I don't have an answer for so I'm going to put it out there. I'm not an electrician but would dielectric grease work on the heater plug and the connect unit heater receptacle to form a better connection and maybe reduce plug/receptacle burnout?
I would say no on the dielectric geese because it is not electrically conductive. You just need to replace the receptacle with a higher quality one

How many screws hold the connect unit together? How many on the back and how many on top if any?
I don’t remember how many screws on the back, but FYI there are two screws under the Mylar mask on the face of the control box. You need to use a heat gun to melt the glue and gently pry up the mask without ruining it. When done, scrape off the glue and re-glue the mask down with something like silicone glue.

I don’t remember how many screws on the back, but FYI there are two screws under the Mylar mask on the face of the control box. You need to use a heat gun to melt the glue and gently pry up the mask without ruining it. When done, scrape off the glue and re-glue the mask down with something like silicone glue.
Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for. I thought I read something in one of the posts a while back but memory ain't what it used to be. Appreciate the answer...

I s-h-i-t on this app pretty hard, so I thought it was only fair that I come back and say it is improving. I still don't like all the clutter/adds/social media garbage, but at least it's functional now. I find that it works much better on my Android phone than my iPad.

I wish i could say the same. It's like the controller and app are on different pages. I click ok on the controller to start the mash and the next thing i know it's going onto the mashout. trying to manually go to a step while temp is steadily increasing just puts me in a fit of rage. i am so over this thing.

I've noticed as long as I have the updated app as I brew it works good. The one time i had issues i learned that it was due to me not updating the most recent version

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting the (RoboBrew) false bottom for my Grainfather. Anyone that has it pluses, Minuses..

I was thinking of getting the (RoboBrew) false bottom for my Grainfather. Anyone that has it pluses, Minuses..

I would get it. I make a lot of hop heavy beers and the filter has gotten clogged a few times. I have considered getting it since using a hop spider (in my opinion) reduces the hop efficiency when whirlpooling. Just my two cents, I’m sure others will have different experiences.

I would get it. I make a lot of hop heavy beers and the filter has gotten clogged a few times. I have considered getting it since using a hop spider (in my opinion) reduces the hop efficiency when whirlpooling. Just my two cents, I’m sure others will have different experiences.
Exactly. It should be better than a hop spider. And easier to clean.

I may even wrap the false bottom in a paint strainer bag to filter even better. That would defeat the easy cleaning, though.

Back