Grainfather water calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigwignjhxc

Reaction score
Hey, so I’ve had the Grainfather for a few years now and noticed that the app, the website, and the manual will give off different calculations. I usually use the app or the website calculator and always feel that my beer comes out a little more on the “watery” side even when I have a high percentage of dextrins in my grain Bill.

What calculations is everyone using to get a fuller thicker body to their beers?

I've been using a Grainfather Connect for 3 years. The water calculations I use, take inspiration from what the Grainfather app/website is telling me. What I do is use less water than the calculators are saying, especially if your grain crush is decent. I know a coarser crush is better with the Grainfather, but efficiency will not be great, hence I use a finer crush and less water. Rice/oat hulls are handy to have for brewing in the Grainfather.

So if the calculator is telling you 20 L in the mash, then I would definitely adjust lower to around 19, maybe less. But if you've used the Grainfather enough, if you've used different grain crush, etc. then you should have an idea how much to use every time and for me is always lower with 1.5-2 liters in the mash.

Hmm that sounds like a good idea. Maybe I’ll start with doing 1/2 gal less and see where that takes me. I’m not too sure if it will through off my numbers though.

You can always add more water if needed, during the mash. You can also take out, but then you will take out a portion of the wort that already has some sugars in it. Half a gallon seems like a good starting point. If not enough water - you will know after 5-10 minutes of recirculating - then add a bit more afterwards.

I tried using the water calculations from the site or the manual . It was too much water imo. I started using the app after a couple brews and haven't looked back . The water amounts on the app are spot on. I just plug in my recipe and the water amounts have been perfect.

Latest posts

Back