Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin_grimes

Reaction score
Random question. I am new to brewing and I'm trying to brew from scratch so I can learn better. Is there specific grain (I.e just for brewing grain) or can I use any grain. Like something from a farm store?
Just a new guy trying to do this right
Thank you

Take a look at the beginners section. I think you are going to need to do a lot of research; but you are in the right place to start.

I have the basics down. I've used a gallon recipe then I bought the pieces for a 5 gallon set. Most websites tell me the gravity and degree of the grain but none really say if I can just use general grain for a regular beer. I do understand that there are many different kinds of grains out there for different drinks. Like a caramel malt. Which brings me to another question why does it say malt when it's a grain? I thought malts were a solid liquid base like syrup?

Welcome to HBT!
Grain has to be malted before turning it into beer. Get malted grain from your local home brew shop or online.

I have the basics down. I've used a gallon recipe then I bought the pieces for a 5 gallon set. Most websites tell me the gravity and degree of the grain but none really say if I can just use general grain for a regular beer. I do understand that there are many different kinds of grains out there for different drinks. Like a caramel malt. Which brings me to another question why does it say malt when it's a grain? I thought malts were a solid liquid base like syrup?

malting is more of a process. you either use malted grain or extract from malted grain. just look up malt in Wikipedia. you should really either check out all beginner's forum threads or just buy a beginners guide to brewing. otherwise, prepare to learn everything the hard way.

Welcome to the forum. You are at the right place to learn this great craft of brewing.

Roger

malting is more of a process. you either use malted grain or extract from malted grain. just look up malt in Wikipedia. you should really either check out all beginner's forum threads or just buy a beginners guide to brewing. otherwise, prepare to learn everything the hard way.

I agree. Buy a copy of "How to Brew" by John Palmer. Good Luck!

Random question. I am new to brewing and I'm trying to brew from scratch so I can learn better. Is there specific grain (I.e just for brewing grain) or can I use any grain. Like something from a farm store?
Just a new guy trying to do this right
Thank you

To do this right, I would start with an extract kit, and read up as previous posters have stated. I did 7 or 8 extract kits before I started all grain.

To do this right, I would start with an extract kit, and read up as previous posters have stated. I did 7 or 8 extract kits before I started all grain.

^ this...have you brewed with liquid malt yet? If not I suggest you do so you can learn the basics about brewing, such as sanitation, temp control, and patience. Also there are many videos on YouTube. YouTube and this forum taught me everything. Once you get bored with extract you can move up to partial mash, or straight to all grain like I did after brewing for a year with extract.

To answer your initial question....I don't think you can brew with any grain. I would stick to grain specifically for beer. You will have to buy specialty grains anyways that you won't find in your local farm store.

First you say this:

I have the basics down.

Then you say this:

I've used a gallon recipe then I bought the pieces for a 5 gallon set. Most websites tell me the gravity and degree of the grain but none really say if I can just use general grain for a regular beer. I do understand that there are many different kinds of grains out there for different drinks. Like a caramel malt. Which brings me to another question why does it say malt when it's a grain? I thought malts were a solid liquid base like syrup?

Dude. You DON'T have the basics down. Not even close. I don't say that in a mean way, but you have a lot of reading to do before you "have the basics down". We were all there once, it's okay to be a beginner... but you need to start WAAAAAAY back at the basic constituents of beer (water, yeast, hops, and malted barley). The primary grain used in beer is barley. Malting is a process done to the barley. Specialty grains (like crystals) are all barley prepared in different ways. Other grains sometimes used in brewing include wheat and rye...

Grab a beer, sit down, and start readin'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjuncts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hops

Good luck. Feel free to ask more questions as they come up!

Depending on what you are doing, you could possibly get grain at a farm supply. This would be somewhat advanced as an undertaking such as doing your own malting and prepping adjuncts.

What is important is knowing exactly what you are purchasing as far as seed or feed. Seed grain is very often treated with fungicides and insecticides. Feed grain may be medicated, which is going to be phased out at long last.

Is this worth the effort? Probably not, you can get grain for what you need elsewhere without the potential problems.

Back