Grain Subs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Thirst

Reaction score
I'm trying out a recipe this weekend and I'm not sure how close I'm going to come to the actual grains. I have brewed this once before using Dark Crystal in place of the D Munich and it was great, but I want to see what the difference is.

It calls for:

German Dark Munich
Belgian Caramunich

I have:

Munich
Caramel Munich 40
Caramel Munich 60
Caramel Munich 80
Caramel Munich 120

As well as lots of other randoms. Are the dark and 120L the same? How about the Belgian, can I get by with just Munich?

Caramunich is 50L iirc.
So I guess you can use the Munich and CaraMunich 60L.
Not sure though, wait for other answers.

German Dark Munich runs as high as 17L, Munich around 10L (German Munich runs a bit lighter). I think if you use Munich in place of the Dark Munich and C60L to replace the Belgian Caramunich, it should work. The C60L will dominate the color, just as the Belgian Caramunich would in the original.

Named grains without Lovibond numbers can really make you crazy. I've seen maltsters call 6L Light Munich, German Munich and Light German Munich, 8L & 10L Munich and 10L & 17L Dark Munich.

Back