Grain Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga1ba2

Reaction score
Anything wrong with reusing a grain bag? :confused: Of course I would clean and sanitize it first.

The nylon bags are made to be reused. The cheesecloth ones are not, and I don't think they'd hold up to reuse.

If you reuse a nylon bag, you just need to clean it before use. No need to sanitize, as steeping is pre-boil.

I have some nylon bags that are seven years old. Muslin & cheesecloth are one-shot.

what makes the muslin and cheesecloth bags good for one use only? i just bought and used a nylon bag, but i was curious as well.

Wheat King said:
what makes the muslin and cheesecloth bags good for one use only? i just bought and used a nylon bag, but i was curious as well.

You might be able to do it if you were VERY careful. That said its a risk reward thing. The risk is having your bag break & your kettle filling with a bunch of grain that will be a real pain in the ass to remove - the reward is saving 50 cents for a new cheesecloth bag...

Its up to you.

Back