Got my water tested...what do you guys think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
So here is what they sent me...
pH...8.9
TDS...112
Cations/Anions...1.6/1.7

Sodium...12
Potassium...less than 1
Magnesium...19
Total Hardness CaCO3...52
Nitrate...less than 1
Sulfate...11
Chloride...19
Carbonate...6
Bicarbonate...15
Total Alkalinity...22
Total Phosphorus... .69
Total Iron... .04

How does my water look? What, if anything, would you add?

Nice try! Its obviously a spoofed water test result. Learn a little more about water chemistry and you'll be able to spoof it better!

If a lab actually sent you that result, be sure to ask for the real results or your money back.

mabrungard said:
Nice try! Its obviously a spoofed water test result. Learn a little more about water chemistry and you'll be able to spoof it better!

If a lab actually sent you that result, be sure to ask for the real results or your money back.

So the first thing you go with is I'm messing with you guys? That's funny!!!

Anyone else have any thoughts on my REAL test?

If Martin says it's bogus, it's bogus. Maybe not from you, but something is obviously wrong with the report. Maybe he'll explain further.

Denny said:
If Martin says it's bogus, it's bogus. Maybe not from you, but something is obviously wrong with the report. Maybe he'll explain further.

An explanation would have been nice instead of assuming I'm messing with people.

I got this from ward labs which I thought was well known.

OK, if it's from Ward you have to give it credence. But Martin is a water pro who does work for breweries....I'd suggest you PM him and ask for an explanation of what's wrong with the report.

Denny said:
OK, if it's from Ward you have to give it credence. But Martin is a water pro who does work for breweries....I'd suggest you PM him and ask for an explanation of what's wrong with the report.

I did look at another water test in here and mine does look way different. Not knowing water at all I don't know why mine would be so low in everything. Could a filter do this? I don't think the previous owner had one put in though.

Are you using an RO filter or something? Those numbers do look way low to be anything coming from the tap.

The pH was another thing I noticed.

I dont think I have a RO filter but now I will have to look. I live in a townhouse but I don't think that would matter.

I ran my tap water for a few minutes and filled the bottle they sent me. I don't know why my numbers would be so far off.

Should i email ward?

Have you put these numbers in any water adjustment calculator, Martin's or otherwise?
Nothing balances or matches; it's impossible water.

wolfman_48442 said:
Have you put these numbers in any water adjustment calculator, Martin's or otherwise?
Nothing balances or matches; it's impossible water.

No not yet. I might call them first to ask why it is so odd. Not knowing water chemistry I can't tell them why it looks weird lol.

I just looked at their site and it says not to use an aerator on the faucet, which I believe I have. But I don't see how that would throw the results so out of whack. Maybe because of mineral build up? And then would that mean a sample from my faucet could be different than the water from my tub?

I got Joe's PM regarding my original post. I can only assume that maybe there were some transcription errors in the report at the lab or when it was posted here. A lot of information doesn't agree within the report.

The first curiousity is that there is no calcium reported. Ward Lab always tests for that and would report a value, even if it was zero.

The 19 ppm Mg would provide a hardness of 78 ppm as CaCO3 by itself, so that concentration is probably not correct. Is it 1.9 ppm? That could make more sense. Then a calcium concentration of about 18 ppm would provide the hardness value reported.

The bicarbonate and carbonate values don't agree with the pH and alkalinity values reported. For the alkalinity, bicarbonate, and carbonate values reported, the pH would have to be about 9.9. That is a fairly high pH for a tap water, but its possible. Does the local water have that high a pH? Another possibility is that the lab transcribed the 8.9 pH value and input it as 9.8 when they were calculating the bicarb and carb concentrations.

If these are the true values reported on the Lab report, I'd be pissed and would request a refund. There are too many errors to provide the user with much confidence.

This whole issue of checking and validating laboratory results is central to using any water data and using it for brewing chemistry. That is one reason why Bru'n Water seems a little more intimidating than other programs. That is something that shouldn't be overlooked. The old adage: Garbage In = Garbage Out holds true for brewing water chemistry and mineral adjustments. To my knowledge, there are no other programs that provide this utility to the brewer...the ability to check if a water report is reasonable. Sure, there are EZier programs out there, but GIGO is a hard hurdle to overcome. Consider that when evaluating your water program!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the good info. Is there a way to upload the PDF report? I'm on my phone now so i will have to look when I get home

Sure, (the file has to be 19.5kb or smaller though. Just click on the Manage Attachments button in the reply window and then upload your file. Once it is uploaded close the window. In the reply window there is an Attachment icon, click on that. I can't remember if it gives you a choice to choose the file or the file you just uploaded comes up. It will make sense to you once you do it. I tried to refresh my memory by uploading a pdf from my computer but they're all a ot bigger than 19.5kb.

It's pretty easy though you'll get it.

Where would I send a water sample to see if it is ok for brewing? and which I dont think it is, find out how or where to get a filter or make it ok?

Not to support the thread hijacking...

But, Ward Labs is where you send it. A filter alone won't magically fix your water though.
You need to use a carbon filter if you're using tap water, which can be found at your local home depot or lowes (search for it on here, there's tons of threads on this). That filter will mainly just remove the chlorine taste and smell from your water though. Water technically should be tailored to the style of beer that your making. Which involves a decent amount of learning about PH's and different elements that exist in your water.

I'd suggest if you really want to learn about brewing water science you do some more reading on this forum. In the Brewing Science section there's a sticky at the top with tons of info in it.
Also, a book like John Palmer's How to Brew has a good section on it as well.

Yeah it is way too big to upload. I'll try to figure out a way to do it but I just double checked all my numbers and they are all correct.

I think since Martin and a few others are saying it looks extremely weird, I will call them to find out. Maybe I can send another sample for free to make sure something wasn't screwed up.

OK, that clarification with the actual report helps. The lab still screwed up the bicarb and carbonate results. They must have mis-keyed 9.9 for the pH. The true bicarb value is around 24 ppm.

Any way I look at it, this is pretty good water for brewing. The calcium should be increased for most brewing. The choice of mineral will depend on the beer taste goal. Malty beers should use calcium chloride, hoppy beers should use gypsum, and dark beers may need to use calcium hydroxide (pickling lime).

Latest posts

Back