Got home and realized I only picked up one packet of dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I was going to make a yeast starter for a SNPA clone but was cautioned in the store against it since it is a dry yeast, S-05. I got home an realized I picked up only one packet.

Question: Do should I go ahead with the starter or just hydrate and pitch the single packet? Driving another 80 miles (one way) to the store is not an option, and I'd rather not pay 8 dollars in shipping for an envelope of yeast : )

Holidays are coming up, and I'd like to get this batch in the pipeline ..

Thoughts?
Thanks..

I've read that starters are not neccessary or required for dry yeast. One packet should do for a typical five gallon batch.

Yep, you don't need a starter and one packet will do you if it's a five gallon batch. You're good.

If it was a high gravity beer, or outdated yeast, you might need more than one 10g packet.

Or if it was those tiny munton's/coopers 5g packets.

I generally wash and reuse yeast. But I always keep a couple of packets of 04 and 05 in my refrigerator. It nice to know I have an emergency back up plan.

Latest posts

Back