Gordon Strong's Holiday Prowler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dub

Reaction score
Hello friends, I decided to make a holiday ale and chose Holiday Prowler from Gordan Strong's book Brewing Better Beer. The recipe does not indicate how to add the honey, Lyle's syrup, or the molasses. I am assuming it needs to be pasturized (at least the honey), and I am guessing it is added to the fermenter rather than the boil. Anyone have any experience with this recipe. Gordon are you out there? Any help would be great. I am 30 mins into the boil as I am writing this...so the quicker the better! Thanks!

I'm not familiar with this recipe (though I have the book at home) but I'd suggest adding the sugars at flameout. That way you don't boil off all the flavors. If you want to add them during fermentation you can do that too, but I don't know the best way to do that. Maybe heat it up in a small amount of water (don't boil) just to bring down the viscosity?

I've never worked with molasses ire treacle, but I have a bit of experience with honey. Honey has an extremely high sugar content versus a very low water content (10-15% I believe). Also, it has very low nutrient count. This inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungus. It is not necessary to pasteurize it, and heating honey up can cause a loss of aroma and flavor.

However, if the honey is strictly to dry out the brew then this shouldn't deter you. However, I personally add honey at flame out for beer, and warm it just enough to pour when I'm making mead.

All said and done, I am not familiar with the proposed recipe, but it sounds like it will make a bangin winter warmer regardless.

Because its a holiday ale I'm going to assume non of the flavors are supposed to be predominant. Having used both honey and molasses I'm going to go with add the molasses with about 10-15 minutes left and the honey at flame out. Neither needs to be pasteurized.

I will add the honey will dry the beer out a bit as its 100% fermentable.

Because of the large addition of simpler sugars also note that while active fermentation will go well be sure to five the beer time to hit FG. Even consider raising the temp a bit late and rouse the yeast to help them work at the more complex sugars

I was in the middle of the boil when I realized their was no clear direction on these adjuncts. Thanks for all of the great feedback. As I was in the middle of the boil none of the advice was given before I had to make some decisions, so they were made on the fly.

I added them all with 10 mins left in the boil. The beer has been in the fermenter this week. We'll have to see how it came out some time in the future.

I guess the lesson here is to thoroughly understand a recipe before you start, especially when using someone else's!!

Thanks again for the feedback.

Best, JW

Latest posts

Back