goodbye kit, hello confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmadd

Reaction score
So I've been doing all grain for two years now. Catch is that I've always used NB all grain kits. I decided to try using a recipe, fine...but. Have no experience in getting specific grains. For example, the IPA recipe I'm using calls for:

American two row malt, Munich malt, Crystal (15L), and Crystal (40L)

So if I look on the NB site I'm guessing I'm gonna order:
Rahr 2row, German Munich malt. I can't find the 15 or 40 Crystal, I only see medium dark or extra dark (higher numbers).

First question is are the two row and the munich they have good ones?
Second question which Crystal malts do I use? Thanks in advance.

While not a direct answer to your question... I just formulated my very first recipe today; I've previously used kits for every batch. I downloaded the Beer Smith software and it really helped me to hit target gravities, SRM and IBUs.
It took a ton of confusion out of trying to design my beer. LINK

check out austin homebrew, they have what you are talking about. if you are going to go this route, you might as well get bulk base grain:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...10345&osCsid=5d2f42eb24570925ab71b3c05ae10b7d

the other grains:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...id=87&osCsid=5d2f42eb24570925ab71b3c05ae10b7d

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...id=94&osCsid=5d2f42eb24570925ab71b3c05ae10b7d

im not sure about the crystal 15. can you just get half crystal 10 and half crystal 20?

gmadd,

There is an easier way.

Go to Brewmasters Warehouse (another forum supporter). There is a brewbuilder on the site and a great grain selection. Order your desired amounts, down to the ounce. Ed has a great crush and everything arrives nicely packaged. You will likely see a big jump in effeciency as well. there is also a 10% off code on the board somewhere. I like NB as well, but for ingredients, BMW has become a no-brainer!

There is also a nice recipe database with many HBT recipes. You can also save and share your own. If you have any questions regarding specific grains or substitutions - give Ed a call, he has always been spot on with advice.

Give them a try, you wont be disappointed.

Jason

I second what schoolmaster said - I use Beersmith to adjust recipes to my desired volumes and effeciency then plug the amounts into BMW's brewbuider - it really couldn't be any simpler

NB do Caramel 10, 20, and 40. Caramel is just a different name for Crystal, so you will have to choose between 10 and 20 instead of 15 (I'd use 20, but that's probably because I don't like very light crystal. Either would be fine). The 40 is available.

The Rahr and Munich should be fine.

-a.

if you are going to go this route, you might as well get bulk base grain:

+1, but not with AHS. Their prices have doubled on the bulk grain in recent years. And they used to have a bulk area some time ago that had awesome prices. If you go with buying it in bulk, get a couple other people to go in with you, and get a way better price.

Latest posts

Back