Good vs. bad apple flavor in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently brewed an AG smash with Munich malt and only 1 oz of cascade hops for bittering (5gal). Brewed with Safale s04. 3 weeks after being bottled, it's dominant flavor is apple. It's a good apple like hard cider but I'm not sure if I made an error in my technique resulting in acetaldehyde or if it's just the nature of this beer. Everything seems on point but I'm not sure if apple flavor is desirable or expected in this kind of beer. I should note that it is a good tasting beer. I'm just not sure if apple was supposed to be the result. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I've never tasted apple from any of those ingredients, so I'd assume it's acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde doesn't taste bad - like a tart hard cider edge to your beer. Unfortunately for me, I get horrendously drunk of only a few drinks with it and have hangovers that are like seasickness and food poisoning at the same time. I can now taste the slightest hint of it and feel immediately sick. A brewing friend had a run of batches a while back that didn't ferment properly because of cold weather (he'd been forced out to his garage for brewing) - they all had acetaldehyde and I learned how sick it makes me. It doesn't affect him any differently to normal beer. The yeast should continue to clean it up if they are kept somewhere warm enough. Or leave it if you like the taste and aren't affected like I am!

Latest posts

Back