Good Substitute for Amber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the title says: I have a couple of pounds of amber malt stuck in a Fedex warehouse somewhere in Indianapolis, I want to brew tomorrow, and my recipe calls for amber malt. Can I swap in biscuit? Victory? Red X? Something else?

Sounds reasonable … but is a biscuit from a US maltster going to be a reasonable switch? To me UK crystal is like an entirely different malt than US versions, whereas for roasted barley, say, there aren’t any or many big differences that depend on origin.

I don't know from experience, but I think your concern is 100% warranted. But, what're you going to do, not brew? Keep calm and carry on, I say.

If the option is available, I'd probably choose a continental biscuit over US.

Thanks, Moose_MI! I really like the community that’s on this forum.

I think I need to postpone my brew day anyhow, as it was supposed to be this morning, and this morning is shot. I’m going to hang tight and wait for the amber to be delivered. Once the malt is in hand I may do a comparison of amber, Victory, and Sugar Creek biscuit.

Back