GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should double-check on HBO Go support. I had read some stuff saying that for certain services (e.g. DirecTV), HBO won't authenticate Roku users, making it completely useless.

That's good advice. I did just check now, and Time Warner Cable (EVIL, EVIL, EVIL) does allow HBO Go to be used through Roku.

Cheezy / flipfloptan - Thanks for the heads up and confirming what I had hoped. I'm kind of old school when it comes with technology and would rather invest in a Roku box or blue ray / DVD player than spend a lot more money on "smart" features that I'll likely never fully use and would obsolete in a few years anyway. My main driver was HBO Go as it's not supported on PS3 - Get your **** together Sony, or I won't be buying a PS4.

You have to keep cable to get HBOGO or ESPN3...(or use somebody else's code) which is effin retreaded. (yes I meant to type that ;))

I went so far as getting rid of all of my CDs and DVDs.

I stream EVERYTHING.

I "own" movies in digital format and access music through www.grooveshark.com to hear a specific song, and www.Pandora.com to hear an awesome customized radio station.

I shop around, but really only "Buy" or "Rent" movies from amazon (digital only). Forget blu ray or whatever the hell comes out next. It is all moving towards digital. Get there first.

I strongly recommend amazon prime and netflix streaming subscriptions.

Amazon Prime was worth it just for last Christmas. We always have to travel out of state to finish our parents and "free" 2 day shipping is a life saver when it comes to procrastination and Christmas shopping. Haven't messed with the media aspect of it too much yet, but I'm sure that will change.

I love it. It is so simple. New "channels" pop up everyday and there is NO monthly charge. Fantastic interface and appearance. (for a non wii electronic)

It loads amazingly fast for something the size of your wallet, occasionally there a tiny bit of lag. I am NOT HD yet (and I am fighting like hell to NOt go there) so I can't speak about that.

It is so damned cheap, I think I would own one even if I still had cable.

Mine is full hd with roku 2 in one room and roku xd in another.... there is a very noticeable difference in performance go with the more expensive boxes(roku3) if you can, I would if I had to do it again. other than that roku is definitely the way to go

Caught my boys watching Xena Warrior Princess last night, they were embarrassed and each claimed that it was the others idea. It looks like Xena still has got it. Also, I don't know how I didn't notice this before but Xena played #3 in the new BSG.. :drunk:

Caught my boys watching Xena Warrior Princess last night, they were embarrassed and each claimed that it was the others idea. It looks like Xena still has got it. Also, I don't know how I didn't notice this before but Xena played #3 in the new BSG.. :drunk:

And Ensign Ro (TNG) played Admiral Cain.

..........*stunned silence*............

;)

cheezydemon3 said:
..........*stunned silence*............

;)

Dude, I was never a tv guy! I watched Xena in the 90's at a friends house, and BSG 15 years later. It didn't click ok MEH! ;)

I always think that is a courtroom law movie about intellectual property when I see the title. Then I see the cover image and get confused. So, it is about a ninja that covers Intellectual Property disputes?

I always think that is a courtroom law movie about intellectual property when I see the title. Then I see the cover image and get confused. So, it is about a ninja that covers Intellectual Property disputes?

Lol. The Ip evidently does not translate.

The story is really good for a kung fu movie, the acting is superb, and the fights are first rate.

I am NOT normally a kung fu buff, but when I saw ads for Ip Man 3.......I figured I need to check it out.

I want a new scifi series.

Any suggestions? I've already seen Battlestar Galactica

Falling Skies is really good

*edit* It might be on amazon prime......my brain hardly distinguishes anymore.

cheezydemon3 said:
You misunderstand!!!!

I never spotted it either, lol.
Ah gotcha, and here I thought you were some kind of a tv god, who knew the episode of Married with Children that Xena did her first cameo in ;)
TxBrew said:

I was filled with the same hole after finishing BSG, and ended up settling on Alias. It's definitely not as good, but it is good and scratches the same itch for me. Also I'm sure you've noticed that every Star Trek ever is now on NF.

I took a long enough break from the forum that I stopped remembering to read back across my posts to make sure the content doesn't make me look retarded/illiterate/homosexual.

I took a long enough break from the forum that I stopped remembering to read back across my posts to make sure the content doesn't make me look retarded/illiterate/homosexual.

I am here to catch you when you fall my friend! And to make fun of you at the same time apparently!....and also....possibly.....to fill your gaping hole.

:cross:

I loved Remo Williams. I am still waiting for the sequel promised in the credits.

In fact, at some point a year or two ago, I finally spent some time digging up the book series (The Destroyer) that the film is based on. They are truly pulp fiction...and there's a HUGE number of them. Warren Murphy (the creator/author) has been extremely prolific over the years to the tune of something like 150 books in the series. I think I've probably read 10 or so...it's hard to continue reading what is essentially the same story over and over.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...yer+series&rh=n:283155,k:the+destroyer+series

However, I am curious as to which actor you are referring in this case. Do you mean Kate Mulgrew, who then went on to do Star Trek?

Presumably you've seen Firefly. Or are you the guy that hates Joss Whedon?

Anyway, I liked Continuum enough (they have season 1 on Netflix) that I set my DVR to record the new shows as they have been airing on TV. It certainly starts off pretty strongly IMO, although story has sort of gotten a bit bogged down as things continue.

Also, agreed with cheezy that if you haven't seen the 2005-era Dr. Who series, you should probably start watching that.

Walking Dead, despite being a massive hit with really good Nielsen ratings and whatnot, has been hit-or-miss in my opinion. I am beginning to think that this series might benefit from re-watching on Netflix, where you can watch many episodes back-to-back (or thereabouts) and thus get more continuity, as well as being able to skip over some of the parts that drag on a bit.

If you are willing to watch Hulu, as well as put up with subtitles, I recommend the anime series Death Note. I am actually re-watching that series recently after first seeing it several years ago at my wife's insistence (who read the manga, I think), and it's still a pretty good story. Unfortunately, it's not on Netflix or Amazon Prime, although it is free to stream on Hulu, with the caveat that Hulu is set up such that you can watch all kinds of stuff on your PC for free, but any app on a game console, cell phone, tablet, etc. requires a Hulu plus subscription. However, there are options like Plex & Chomecast which will let you stream from the PC to another device if you're willing to go that route.

I loved Remo Williams. I am still waiting for the sequel promised in the credits.

How can you not like a movie that has Wilford Brimley as part of an organization of assassins? :D

However, I am curious as to which actor you are referring in this case. Do you mean Kate Mulgrew, who then went on to do Star Trek?

Yup.

Chromecast only allows you to use Netflix and YouTube videos. The picture however is pretty damn good since it cast through a hdmi port! Last weekend watched a lot of HD music videos on YouTube and had a pretty good time! Now need to find something I haven't seen yet on Netflix!

Chromecast only allows you to use Netflix and YouTube videos. The picture however is pretty damn good since it cast through a hdmi port! Last weekend watched a lot of HD music videos on YouTube and had a pretty good time! Now need to find something I haven't seen yet on Netflix!

I own a chromecast and have been able to watch Hulu and Amazon by just casting the browser tab. Amazon was a bit tricky because they use silverlight by default. If you disable the silverlight plugin, however, it will fall back on flash which works fine with chromecasat.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is AWESOME.

Such a unique and well done horror movie! Not an "over the top" monster, but

****SPOILER*****

A bunch of little ones that use not only claws and physical threat, but a more subtle (but no less effective) scare that incorporates preying on a child with twisted child psychology, and hiding in the shadows and whispering....SCARY AS ANYTHING.

CD3, I loved State of Emergency and the new Dredd. Thanks!

State of emergency impressed me with the lack of special effects, and the well placed, but extremely minimal violence for a zombie flick.

Dredd was non stop violence and effects, lol. Opposite but also pretty awesome. *SPOILER* I thought Ma Ma had such potential! I loved how she had the james bond-like evil genius escape plan, so Dredd just tossed her through the window! Perfect ending to that movie!

I do have to say that the SLO MO drug scenes looked cool, but........if real life is moving that slow, it is only because your perceptions are sped up. Someone in that state could put 4 bullets into you before you picked your first target. Meh, I overthink movies!

State of emergency impressed me with the lack of special effects, and the well placed, but extremely minimal violence for a zombie flick.

Dredd was non stop violence and effects, lol. Opposite but also pretty awesome. *SPOILER* I thought Ma Ma had such potential! I loved how she had the james bond-like evil genius escape plan, so Dredd just tossed her through the window! Perfect ending to that movie!

I do have to say that the SLO MO drug scenes looked cool, but........if real life is moving that slow, it is only because your perceptions are sped up. Someone in that state could put 4 bullets into you before you picked your first target. Meh, I overthink movies!

^^Could not stop thinking this exact thing. SWMBO asked why I liked State of Emergency so much. I replied its original, in its on way. She replies" It's a ZOMBIE movie? really.":D

Being in that state mentally (or perceptually) will not necessarily make you move that much faster. It would be more akin to the 'bullet time' in the Max Payne game where time is slowed so you can see and think more. If you actually moved that fast the gun would probably jam and you would probably tear your muscles and ligaments.

Now who overthinks movies?

Back