Good Hard lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always add Glycerine to sweeten up the lemonade, it will get thicker as well.

I'm a huge newb to all this and this is a really general question that this thread has brought up for me.

I just started looking into homebrewing a few days ago, and as I understand it, if you don't put an air valve on wine to keep air from getting in, the alcohol will react and make vinegar. Here it is recommended to let oxygen in, so I'm confused.

When should you aerate, and when should you prevent air from getting in?

jyrenth said:
I'm a huge newb to all this and this is a really general question that this thread has brought up for me.

I just started looking into homebrewing a few days ago, and as I understand it, if you don't put an air valve on wine to keep air from getting in, the alcohol will react and make vinegar. Here it is recommended to let oxygen in, so I'm confused.

When should you aerate, and when should you prevent air from getting in?
Aerate before you pitch the yeast, it needs oxygen to stay healthy and reproduce. Oxygen before fermentation is good, after fermentation it can cause oxidation (off flavors).

Air locks are to keep things from falling in your brew. It is a bacteria that causes vinegar. It can get in if you got it floating around your house but it's commonly carried by fruit flies and the air lock keeps them out. Air locks also allows the CO2 to escape so you don't have any explosion.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Thanks a lot for the reply, that helps my understanding of what is going on a lot.

I have one more question: I it was recommended to just use a dish towel over the top to prevent things from dropping in, but let the CO2 out. Wouldn't that not prevent air (and nasty bacteria from getting in, or is it not that big of a problem?

jyrenth said:
Thanks a lot for the reply, that helps my understanding of what is going on a lot.

I have one more question: I it was recommended to just use a dish towel over the top to prevent things from dropping in, but let the CO2 out. Wouldn't that not prevent air (and nasty bacteria from getting in, or is it not that big of a problem?
Wine is a little different that fermenting beers and other beverages. The towel is common with wine but it really hasn't been used for beer since the olden days. Technically, yes it can be used but since air locks cost about seventy cents, why would you not use the proper tool for the job. I don't want to take the chance of infection for the lack of a tool that costs so little.

Just saw this thread after it was bumped up. Sounds like a sweet recipe but wondering if anyone has carbed yet in a corny? Also wondering how everyone's batch turned out. I saw lots of questions and people saying they were starting, but only one person why tried something different and said it was nasty.

Heading to the LHBS in a little while and wouldn't mind picking up some items to get this going.

Hmmmm, I might just throw together a 1 gallon batch...If I can find a jug around here :D. Would only cost a few bucks if you use lemons and sugar.

Putting together a 1 gallon batch tomorrow to try out. With the DME, do you guys boil some of the water and mix it in, or do you just mix it in with the room temp water?

I used 1lb of mutons light dme, 2lbs of dominos cane sugar, 1 packet of red star champagne yeast, 12 cans of flavorite lemonade concentrate( no preservatives), and enough water(tap) to fill my fermenter to 25 liters.

First I boiled water, and slowly added the dme and cane sugar, and made sure it was completely dissolved.

Second I dumped the frozen lemonade concentrate, along with 2 gallons of water or so into the fermenter and mixed it up.

Then I slowly poured the sugar and dme mix into the fermenter and stirred.

Then I topped it off to 25 liters with warm water.

Mixed everything thoroughly.

Then I took a glass and poured 2 cups of water into it, a little yeast, and 3 tablespoons of sugar, and stirred it.

After a layer of foam formed on the surface of the glass i added about 3 ounces of the lemonade mixture.

I slowly added more and more lemonade for about a half hour.

when there was yet again a layer of foam I poured it into the fermenter and mixed it around a few times. ( temp was 26 deg Celsius)

Then I covered the fermenter with a dish towel.

My OG was roughly 1.073(I'm still a little confused on the hydrometer)

How does this sound? did I do anything wrong?

the yeast nutrient is absolutely essential, i made a batch that never even began to ferment without the nutrient. after like 2 weeks it started to smell funny, so i dumped it and started a new batch with nutrients. it started fermenting immediately.

I tried a little bit of this after letting it completely ferment out. it was so sour, it just tasted like strait lemon juice with alcohol in it. so I sweetened it with splenda to try and combat the taste. now it tastes alright, but i would definitely rather have a mikes. i bottled and carbed it anyway to see what happens to the taste.

:off:

USFBull said:
Nothing is better on a hot day than a sweaty Hard Arnold Palmer ;

Any other questions just ask

Yeah, that definitely brought up a few questions...:D

I am now on my third batch. Original batch i used all Minute Maid. It was a hit. Second batch i used 5 cans of MM and 15 Large Lemons. Both of these I used Red Star Pemiere Curvee (sp?) I found that the bubbles created make it hard to get the keg pressure right when tapping.

Last batch I am trying a different yeast, Red Star white wine yeast. I will let you know how it comes out.

As for batches not starting, i find it is critical to rehydrate, then add 1/2 cup of the lemon must to the yeast, wait 30 minutes or until the yeast is working again, then add another 1/2 cup of must. after 30 minutes, pitch it. All 3 batches have started with no trouble using this method.

Oh and I added 2 cups of sugar dissolved in 2 1/2 cups of water after the Potassium Sorbate.

OG 1.070
FG 1.010
8%ABV

Last but not Least, Go Bulls!

MrFocus
I stopped mine after about 3 weeks, It would have gone longer but i want the ABV in the 7-8% range.
My brew room stays a pretty constant 63F so it may finish faster in a warmer environment.

Ok tried something a little different this time:
Add 2 bottles of McCormick Raspberry extract at bottling time. The girls love it, as it takes some of the tartness off.

I am trying a 1 gallon batch of this tomorrow. My mom used to make fresh squeezed lemonade when i was younger, so i got that recipe from her. it is simple. just 8 lemons, and 2 cups of sugar per gallon.

-1 gallon of fresh squeezed lemonade
-enough corn sugar to reach my desired ABV(7%)
-a few table spoons of lemon zest
-redstar champagne yeast
-1 tablespoon on Superferment (yeast nutrient/energizer.)

I am going to let this ferment with just a dish towel over it, then when the process is completed, I will seal it up and let it age for a month or so.

So in about 2 months I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I came up with a pretty simple hard tea recipe, i will share it with you once i taste it.

Just read through this again. How about that hard tea recipe? I'm thinking if I brew up some strong iced tea and add in some lemon/lemon zest and sugar to reach the abv i'm looking for. What type of yeast should I use for this. I want this to be a crisp summer drink.

I don't really wanna place a homebrew order for just potassium sorbate so is there any possibility of using metabisulfite instead?

I have had a 5 gallon batch in the fermenter for 6 days and it has reached the 1.00sg. Should it be racked to a secondary with potassium sorbate or just left to finish? It is still bubbling like crazy and still kind of dark. Also is it alright to drink right away or how long should I wait for the best flavor?

well I'll get this threat started again i guess! I just started a batch today, heres what i did.

10 cans of limonade
1 kg light DME
about 1,5 kg sugar
champagne yest

So I had a starting OG of 1064 and let it fermant to 1030 then I racked to secondary. Now im at 1000. I know i should stabilize it, then I should back sweet... I was thinking using some limonade powder.. would it work

Also how about that hard tea recipe???

So... I'm getting ready to start a batch of Hard Lemonade. I am planning on bottle carbing this, so before I start I was wondering if anyone else has done this and how it turned out. I was figuring if I carb it I should use less sugar than the original recipe. And what is this I am reading about Splenda? How does that work?

I did a limeade.

1 gal
Start mead 2#Honey 2#Sugar. Sprinkly a little KV-118 yeast in and let that ferment for a month or untill the airlock slows to a crawl. Rack to another jug and dump in one or two cans of limeade concentrate. When the airlock solwed down to a bubble every 45 seconds I put it in bottles. 24oz empty plastic softdrink bottles (avoid explosions). This is a very sweet and extreemly carbonated limeade.

What is the disadvantage to frementing the LME and sugar 1st to get the yeast going and adding the Lemonade concentrate a week later?

well I'll get this threat started again i guess! I just started a batch today, heres what i did.

10 cans of limonade
1 kg light DME
about 1,5 kg sugar
champagne yest

So I had a starting OG of 1064 and let it fermant to 1030 then I racked to secondary. Now im at 1000. I know i should stabilize it, then I should back sweet... I was thinking using some limonade powder.. would it work

Also how about that hard tea recipe???

How did this recipe turn out?

Started a Hard Limeade last night. As this is my 2nd attempt, only made a 1 1/2 gallon batch this time. Thanks to Yooper for the hard lemonade recipe this is based on:

2 cans Minute Maid Limeade
3 cups cane sugar
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp Yeast Energizer
Champagne Yeast
1 1/2 gallon Bottled water

1. Thaw limeade cans in pot with hot tap water.
2. Boil 2 pints water and slowly pour in 3 cups of sugar. Stir until dissolved. Take off heat.
3. Empty thawed limeade into clean primary. Rinse cans with bottled water and pour into primary. Keep adding water to 1 gallon mark. Stir.
4. Add water/dissolved sugar mix. Stir. Add water to 1 1/2 gallon mark. Stir, stir, stir... Check temperature.
5. Take hydrometer reading. (my SG was 1.072)
6. Add nutrient, stir. Add energizer, stir, stir, stir.
7. Add yeast. I just pitched right on top. (I didn't have a problem getting it going last time.) Covered over with lightweight dish towel.
This morning: Bubbling away happily!

NOTES:
The last batch I made tasted more like lime wine - just not good! I carbed it with corn sugar and while it took awhile, darn it carbed well! The last batch also had extra light DME and I back flavored with several packets of True Lime. This recipe is a lot more basic so I figured I'd start here and tweak... I only made this small batch because I ended up dumping the other one (6 gallons!) even after individually sweetening bottles,adding flavorings, etc. - it was just gross!

So my current plan:
Let ferment in primary until "head drops" and then rack to 1 gallon jug with airlock. Let sit until FG reached (going for 1.000 or under). Rack 1/2 to primary:

One batch: Backsweeten with about 1/4-1/2 can of limeade. Add sugar, if needed. Bottle to beer bottles and cap. After 2 weeks, check for carbonation.
Other batch: Stabilize with k-meta and pot sorb. Backsweeten with limeade and raspberry beer flavoring - 1/4-1/2 can limeade and maybe 1 TBSP rasp flavoring (will flavor to taste). Bottle in 1/2 gallon jug and refrigerate.

My husband and his cousin go through a lot of Mike's Hard Limeade (lovingly called "Greenies") during the summer up the lake. Your input, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated. I'll let you know how the batches turn out...

Started a Hard Limeade last night. As this is my 2nd attempt, only made a 1 1/2 gallon batch this time. Thanks to Yooper for the hard lemonade recipe this is based on:

2 cans Minute Maid Limeade
3 cups cane sugar
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp Yeast Energizer
Champagne Yeast
1 1/2 gallon Bottled water

1. Thaw limeade cans in pot with hot tap water.
2. Boil 2 pints water and slowly pour in 3 cups of sugar. Stir until dissolved. Take off heat.
3. Empty thawed limeade into clean primary. Rinse cans with bottled water and pour into primary. Keep adding water to 1 gallon mark. Stir.
4. Add water/dissolved sugar mix. Stir. Add water to 1 1/2 gallon mark. Stir, stir, stir... Check temperature.
5. Take hydrometer reading. (my SG was 1.072)
6. Add nutrient, stir. Add energizer, stir, stir, stir.
7. Add yeast. I just pitched right on top. (I didn't have a problem getting it going last time.) Covered over with lightweight dish towel.
This morning: Bubbling away happily!

NOTES:
The last batch I made tasted more like lime wine - just not good! I carbed it with corn sugar and while it took awhile, darn it carbed well! The last batch also had extra light DME and I back flavored with several packets of True Lime. This recipe is a lot more basic so I figured I'd start here and tweak... I only made this small batch because I ended up dumping the other one (6 gallons!) even after individually sweetening bottles,adding flavorings, etc. - it was just gross!

So my current plan:
Let ferment in primary until "head drops" and then rack to 1 gallon jug with airlock. Let sit until FG reached (going for 1.000 or under). Rack 1/2 to primary:

One batch: Backsweeten with about 1/4-1/2 can of limeade. Add sugar, if needed. Bottle to beer bottles and cap. After 2 weeks, check for carbonation.
Other batch: Stabilize with k-meta and pot sorb. Backsweeten with limeade and raspberry beer flavoring - 1/4-1/2 can limeade and maybe 1 TBSP rasp flavoring (will flavor to taste). Bottle in 1/2 gallon jug and refrigerate.

My husband and his cousin go through a lot of Mike's Hard Limeade (lovingly called "Greenies") during the summer up the lake. Your input, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated. I'll let you know how the batches turn out...

Came out pretty good! After looking over above directions, I don't know what possessed me to also add carb drops to bottles, too!!?? Anyway, carb tabs were not needed and 6 bottles were gushers - but, they tasted good!! :cross:
Other half with raspberry was delish! First you taste lime and then after taste is an unexpected raspberry. Next batch will be 5 gallons and 1/2 with raspberry, all carbonated! :)

What temp are you fermenting this hard lemonade at, and do you need the potasium sorbate?

As we discussed in a PM, around 70 degrees - no less than 68 degrees. The potassium sorbate was used in conjuction with the potassium meta to stabilize for a non-carbonated version. (I did 6 bottles carbed and the rest "still".) If you want to carb your batch, don't use it!

Could you instead use 2 pounds of DME and 1 pound of corn sugar to get a more malty flavor?

I fermented some lemonade with only a bit of yeast nutrient, and I just tossed the dry yeast in. It was a slower ferment than normal, but it went fine.

Could you instead use 2 pounds of DME and 1 pound of corn sugar to get a more malty flavor?

I tried with malt and I personally did not care for the flavor...so much so that I dumped the batch! Try making a one gallon batch and you be the judge! :mug:

problem solved itself I took off the blow off tubing and replaced it with the fermentation lock and now I see and hear the fermentation!

So I used the original, recipe and directions and it tastes terrible.
I did two batches 5 gallons each in igloo water containers.

Batch one
5 gallons water
10 cans frozen minute maid concentrate
2 lbs sugar
1 packet champagne yeast

Batch two
5 gallons water
enough powder lemonade for the 5 gallons
2 lbs sugar
1 packet champagne yeast

I activated the yeast according to the directions on the packets and then added them directly to the lemonade, didnt have a problem starting they started to bubble and foam within the day. I let them both completely ferment out (took about 3 weeks) had to stir and add nutrient a couple times. I covered them with just some towels. In the end they both taste pretty bad, the powder concentrate is actually the better tasting one(actually had somewhat of a lemon taste to it) the other didnt even resemble lemonade. I have no idea what went wrong, any suggestions would be welcom.

Back