Good first time extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your doing a straight extract batch i'd get 6 to 8 pounds of amber liquid malt extract and 1 to 2 oz of cascade hops. very simple and you'll be happy with it.

I agree with Jester. While you're at it, buy Brewing Classic Styles. It's all extract recipes with All Grain notes for when you decide to take the jump. It was one of the first books I bought and I still use it as a yardstick (along with Designing Great Beers) every time I formulate a recipe.

My first brew was the Brewer's Best IPA. Turned out pretty darn good. Guess it really depends on what style(s) you like. Austin Homebrewing and Northern Brewer have nice selection of kits. I've tried a few form each and have been happy with all of them. Do you have a local shop that sells kits?

i'd say go with a kit from a reputable source. pick something you like then ask any questions you have on here. most of the kits have been tried and proven to be good.

You really can't go wrong with the extract+steeping grains kits from Northern Brewer. What styles do you like? Pale ales, english milds/bitters, and wheat beers turn around more quickly than heavier beers which is good for the super impatient new brewer, but on behalf of everyone here, I urge you to give even smaller beers the chance to get good before you drink them.

If you mean you are brewing your first batch ever, then may I suggest a kit like Brew House. Hard to go wrong and you get the basic steps down. In the meantime, read everything you can in this section of HBT to improve the whole process. Then make your way to extracts or all grain.

B

Personally, as I did with my first time...I went down to my local home brew supply store and chatted with them about my desires. They hooked me up with everything I needed. A lot easier to talk to someone in person about questions/concerns. They can also help you with your first batch. You'd benefit a lot more going extract with steeping grains then just extract alone....just my opinion however.

Personally, as I did with my first time...I went down to my local home brew supply store and chatted with them about my desires. They hooked me up with everything I needed. A lot easier to talk to someone in person about questions/concerns. They can also help you with your first batch. You'd benefit a lot more going extract with steeping grains then just extract alone....just my opinion however.

I agree. If you have someone to talk to in person at your lhb shop your better off. they can answer all your questions right away and get you a simple starter recipe kit

Thanks everyone. Brews are the nicest people. I just joined our local homebrewing club and come to find out I already knew a couple of the guys. Unfortunately we don't have a homebrewing place in town...yet, but I went with a Stout from Northern. Going to some of the group brews this month and doing a double brew in a couple weekend with some guys too. I'm a fan of IPA's, Stouts, and any other type of beer. Been reading up and can't wait to get into grains and kegging.

Prost

Coopers kits, as far as ease are hard to beat. A can of thier pre-hopped extract, kilo of dme, no boil, just heat a little water, melt the dme, dump it in your bucket, top it off, (70-80 degrees) sprinkle on the yeast, and thats it. Makes darn good beer for the little trouble. I've moved to steeping but still make a little Coopers 'cause of time restraints and I like it. Don't see myself going to part/mash or full boil, once again time is an issue in my already more than full sched and this hobby is already additive enough! 65 gals so far. jms 2cents

I generally take a can of cooper's,like the OS Draught,add 3lbs of Munton's plain light DME with 2 different hop schedules/types to make either an APA or IPA. The combo gives a malt profile/color close to DFH IPA's.
That's one example of what cooper's cans are good for. Mix their can with the right DME (not just color,but country of origin) to change it into something else. Took a little getting used to as to what + what = what.
It just depends on what flavors/colors you want to end up with. Malt extracts from different countries/styles of malt have different constituents. That's the beauty of it.

Latest posts

Back