Golden Gate Keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
I've got my hands on one. Now I need parts. I've done an extensive search for information, yet all of it seems to concern the coupler, the inlet valve, or the bung. I have a concern with the outlet port.
Perhaps some other minor questions as well...

The only part left on the keg is some weird rubber plug with a metal piece in the center with a wingnut and screw... not sure if that is OEM. I will have to get a picture up once I get out of work. The plug is on the bottom outlet and would presumably be connected to with a coupler (although I have no idea how, in its present state). If this were to be OEM, I still wouldn't use it. It is corroded and filthy on the inside portion so I will need a replacement anyway. Any ideas?

Also, there is no valve and no bung. Is it difficult to get my hands on replacements? Should I/could I convert to a more modern valve?

I would love to use this as my entry into kegging my beer, but other options are there, such as a fermenter or HLT.

Any and all help or ideas welcome.

Here's the outlet
mmi

Closeup with the grungy inside. It looks like just a plug to me... ??
mmi

Topside
mmi

Bunghole
mmi

I can surely give you closeups if needed, these were just quick snaps.

You can try and source used parts...prices vary widely with things like this, from dirt cheap to spendy. The rubber bung is likely someones handiwork and not OEM.

NuclearRich,

How's your search for info going? I came across one of these kegs the other day too. Here's a helpful link I found for the golden gate taps. http://www.bartelsmachine.com/products

I have a question I'm hoping you can help with. At both of my valves there is a hole next to the diamond shaped mettle thing. Does yours have this too? Is it normal? If I fill the valve with water it drains into the keg which doesn't seem right. In the picture the hole is to the left of the diamond.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Golden Gate Keg 005.jpg

mcmenamin's brewpubs in oregon and washington use golden gate kegs exclusively, you might try contacting them to find out where they get spare parts for their kegs?

yes, the hole should be there. when open it flows out the hole. as an "entry into kegging my beer" this is like and old car. not going to be easy. ( I have a good set of valves for this.) you'd be better off with a newer style.

If the hole should be there and liquid can flow into the keg via the hole, what's going to stop beer from flowing out?

the diamond shapped thingy turns, it will turn a butterfly valve inside to close.

the brass ring with four slots in it, take an old screwdriver,put it in a slot and tap it so the ring turns counter clockwise. it will unscrew and the valve will fall right out.

564304266_2000752370_0.jpg

564304344_2000752663_0.jpg

564304432_2000752984_0.jpg

Just updating the pics, couldnt figure out how to edit my post from before.

So I haven't found much information since. The link michelson39 put up is actually a guy i ended up finding randomly myself, but I contacted him and he said he should have some of the couplers available and to contact him with order info...
HOWEVER
DUH
I dont have a valve... just a hole where one belongs. Can I update this easily, since i am sure finding a GG valve will be 3x as impossible as getting the couplers.

On the same note, if I do that, should I just fashion some sort of ball valve/spigot and use this as a fermentor? I am getting nostalgic and feel I have a semi-antique, lol. So if I can find something to do with it aside from cutting it I will. Fermenting 10gals sounds reasonable.

And how about the bung... are there any suitable replacements?

I have seen plastic ones but cant remember who had them. if you want a good pair of valves,I just so happen to have a set. :mug:

if just fermenting you can shove a rubber bung with airlock in it. but if you want to carb and serve,you need the plastic ones,or make one out of wood. sucks someone painted it.

wood bungs are available, i have a link to a source on my other computer that i'll post when i get home later tonight..

eh the paint is aesthetic. who looks at a keg as a thing of beauty? thats like saying I have a nice femur.

So you thing rubber bungs all around? I can just find different stoppers at my LHBS you think? I was there today to drop off my first competition beer and I was scoping them out. There were a couple that seemed suitable, not sure if I could find one to fit all holes, so what else would I find to fit?

and as for the valves, are they meant for the GG, or are they universal? I am a complete kegging newbie

" who looks at a keg as a thing of beauty? " uhhhh.....me. :cross:

yes,the GG are not like anything a modern keg has.

but...!!!! you CAN find a brass ;( or a Stainless cap. !!! you see them thar threads on that sweet girl? bung for the bung hole..! and the top and bottom can be capped.

Guess a trip to Lowe's is in order! Any tips on grimey old crud cleaning out of the inside of the keg?

That rubber bung you found was probably bought at an auto parts store. It is an expandable freeze plug for an engine block. I used the same thing when I had a golden gate keg setup in the early 90's. I thought it was old back then! My only problem with it was I could ever only find one. Now I have corny kegs.

Here are some pictures of my outlet port at the bottom in case anyone is curious (NuclearRich).

Cheers!
Jeff

golden gate keg 002.jpg

golden gate keg 004.jpg

golden gate keg 007.jpg

Back