Golden crumb like sediment at the bottom of bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrall

Reaction score
Hello

I made some cider about 6 months ago when I was first experimenting. It fermented for about 3 weeks then I put it straight into bottles with a sugar cube and put them in the hut.

Now I have 2 1litre bottles of it and its super clear but the bottom has some golden brown crumb like particles, they seemed to have stuck together into little lumps unlike the even sludge when you first ferment.

It has been very cold lately and it could have frozen (I think this is likely as its not very fizzy compared to the stuff I had a few months ago)

I'm just wondering if its normal and even safe to drink?

yep - it's just yeast lees... No worries.

The only thing is... Handle the bottles gently and Pour slow... You want to leave as much of that sediment in the bottom of the bottle as you can.... It doesn't taste particularly good.

yep - it's just yeast lees... No worries.

The only thing is... Handle the bottles gently and Pour slow... You want to leave as much of that sediment in the bottom of the bottle as you can.... It doesn't taste particularly good.

Thanks for the info, one thing I notice is that the bottle I drank without this sediment had a chemically taste but this stuff tastes amazing.

After I pour off the bottle I drink the lees from it. It tastes great, like the most intense Apple experience you can get.

Back